Question Old i5 7500 for editing

Dec 13, 2019
Hi,

I am start getting into photo editing and decided to download Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. However I have an old i5 7500 3.40Hz and when I am working on some photos the Lightroom gets SUPER slow and I need to wait a few seconds to refresh the work. Do I need to upgrade my processor in order to have a smooth workflow? If so what you guys recommend? I would like to keep the Intel system and if possible a budget friendly option.

Note: I have 8GB of RAM I tried upgrade to 16GB but the problem is still there.

Thank you in advance.

Dec 13, 2019
I have an i7-4790k (specs below), and use Lightroom 5.7 daily.
it is not slow.
In addition to the above questions, what are the rest of your system specs?
Thank you for the reply as well.
-CPU: Intel Core i5 7500 Kaby Lake
-Motherboard: Strix H270F
-Memory: G.Skill 8gb 2400mhz DDR4
-GPU: GTX 1050Ti

Dec 13, 2019
Possibly increase your RAM.
Lightroom is not particularly frugal on RAM, especially with large files and multiple edits. 8GB is pretty slim for this use.
I have 32GB.
Also, is this on an HDD or SSD?
I have tried adding extra 16GB but it didnt change the performance. The Lightroom is installed on a SSD and the photos on a HDD.
Also when I check the Task Manager while I am using lightroom the CPU performance is 100% most of the times when I zoom in or use the brush to do something. Maybe my processor is not powerful enough?

Dec 13, 2019
I'm thinking it is the HDD being the issue.
Photos and the LR catalog living on the HDD could well be 'slow'.
You might be right. I am gonna try working from the SSD and import the final photos to the HDD.

Thank you!

Edit: Just updating here, my catalog is saved on C:/Documents, which is my SSD and the issue still there. Sorry about the confusion

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019
I'm thinking it is the HDD being the issue.
Photos and the LR catalog living on the HDD could well be 'slow'.
One thing that I notice is that, when I start editing a RAW file from scratch the Lightroom doesnt lag but if I have already edit a few things like some masks or filters then starts to lag pretty bad.