Old i7 vs New i5 PC’s

Apr 27, 2018
So Im about to buy a pc without a gpu, Used, the gpu is a gtx 1060 3 gb and the pc’s are:
1. I5 6500 16gb ram ddr4 320gb hdd - the guy still has the bills so the pc has 12 months of free repair
2. i7 4790 8gb ddr3 1tb hdd - used, no bill.

I will probably upgrade the pc as I can, is the new one better considering the circumstances? I think so, what do you think? (As a monitor ill get a 120hz acer monitor) - IMPORTANT - I want to game and learn app programming, coding in general. I will play CSGO GTA V and other games probably.

Solution
Neither is ideal but I'd go for the i5 6500.

Reasons:
The i7 build is as fast as it can be, there's no viable upgrade path short of swapping the entire CPU/RAM/MB while the i5 can be swapped out for an i7 later on.
The i5 build already has 16Gb of RAM, and this stuff is still expensive, while the i7 'only' has 8Gb.
While the i7 already has a decent 1Tb HDD, they're cheap enough ATM and this is the main let down of the i5 build; that tiny 320Gb HDD.

One point, check the power supply, a lot of people cut corners with this part but it's essential for safe, stable operation of the system, and is even more important if you decide to overclock later on.
Neither is ideal but I'd go for the i5 6500.

Reasons:
The i7 build is as fast as it can be, there's no viable upgrade path short of swapping the entire CPU/RAM/MB while the i5 can be swapped out for an i7 later on.
The i5 build already has 16Gb of RAM, and this stuff is still expensive, while the i7 'only' has 8Gb.
While the i7 already has a decent 1Tb HDD, they're cheap enough ATM and this is the main let down of the i5 build; that tiny 320Gb HDD.

One point, check the power supply, a lot of people cut corners with this part but it's essential for safe, stable operation of the system, and is even more important if you decide to overclock later on.

Solution

8GB is scraping the barrel now 16GB is the recommended now

True and the i7 would need a new 16GB kit really if you want to avoid potential clashes.