[SOLVED] Old ibm M50 series

Nov 29, 2021
Hi, I have an old ibm m50's desktop with xp installed. I have tried a number of times to change it to windows 7 but it will not accept the 7 disk.

Is it not possible to update this desktop.

Solution
Oh, just get an embedded industrial PC. You can get a decent passively cooled Celeron that will handle a basic Windows 7 install, but you really should use the appropriate OS for the software. If it was XP, stick with XP for maximum compatibility. Windows 7s LUA and UAC prompts were huge issues when I was working a transition of a company from XP to Windows 7, lot of legacy software didn't make it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Probably not worth it, regardless. Upgrading from one deprecated OS to another isn't going to gain you much.

It depends on the exact Pentium 4 CPU. There were a few that were capable of running up to Windows 8 (Not 8.1 or 10 though) There were about 5 generations of Pentium 4.

I would say it is time to upgrade, unless there is something you absolutely need that runs in XP.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, just get an embedded industrial PC. You can get a decent passively cooled Celeron that will handle a basic Windows 7 install, but you really should use the appropriate OS for the software. If it was XP, stick with XP for maximum compatibility. Windows 7s LUA and UAC prompts were huge issues when I was working a transition of a company from XP to Windows 7, lot of legacy software didn't make it.

Solution