[SOLVED] Old Laptop BIOS Update

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Hello,

I have a pretty old laptop - Toshiba Satellite C650-11x.

Although the laptop is over 10 years old it is in a relatively good condition. I already opened and cleaned it up and changed the thermal paste and I also Installed Ubuntu on it (I had Windows 10 installed on it, but after using it for some time I decided that Linux it the best choice in my case)

I am going to get a 2x4gb Ram, 120GB SSD and a disk caddy for the HDD. However I would like to ask for assistance in updating the BIOS (and drivers for other components) if possible.

I know it's an old laptop, but I am hoping that (if possible) this might add a bit to the improvement of the laptop performance.

I did search online for BIOS and other driver updates, but the only results I get are drivers for C650 and I am not sure if that means that those are for all series that start with C650.

I also tried to contact Toshiba, but the only possible way for me to contact them requires my immediate a permission to gain access to my computer and I am going to keep away from that for now.

I will appreciate any help about BIOS and driver update.

P.S: I am happy with the current operating system, so that is not something I am seeking help for at the moment.

Last edited:
Solution
Very clever decision to install Linux, you've probably already noticed it runs lighter than w10.

For the bios - why excactly do you need to upgrade your bios?

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Very clever decision to install Linux, you've probably already noticed it runs lighter than w10.

For the bios - why excactly do you need to upgrade your bios?
Indeed, it runs very well. it's lighter and simpler, though I am not using the laptop as much. It takes some time to get used to the different look of icons and other software, but it's fine.

I have a desktop computer (also with windows 10), which I build about nine months ago. I intended to clean the laptop and reinstall the windows, after I build the desktop, and so I did.

The laptop had windows 7 and I was recommended to install windows 10 on it, so I installed it after I build the desktop. I haven't been using the laptop that much, after I built the desktop, but during the times I boot it up and did very minor tasks on it I noticed it loads even slower than before (when it had it's original windows 7).

As I mentioned I did clean it up and changed the paste and made sure everything works fine. But for me windows 10 didn't work well, even on the desktop, although I will keep using it there for now.

Maybe other people have a great experience with windows 10 on their older laptops, but I just don't see it as a good idea to install it on laptops that are from 3-4 years ago or older. No need for that in my personal experience. Linux is just fine.

Windows 10 is just a menace (no offense to people who love windows 10 etc).

In any ways, I don't have much experience with computers etc, but I started to learn some things, since last year, when I build my first computer. One thing is that you should always contact the corresponding support for BIOS and driver updates and that helped me a lot. Windows option to check for updates is kind of useless.

Thus, I decided that I will try to update BIOS and drivers of the laptop, if that is even possible and/or helpful for a machine that old.

In general : if your computer is fully working and there is not known security weakness bulletin from the manufacturer, then there is no need to update the bios. In fact, you introduce a greater risk of make the computer unusable (if something goes wrong during the update).