[SOLVED] Old laptop died, how do I backup/transfer previous SSD data to new laptop?

Apr 8, 2021
Hi, my previous laptop (Gigabyte Aero) with a 500GB SSD has died (no longer powers on - motherboard issue)
I'm purchasing a new laptop and wish to salvage the data from this older laptop's drive.
I'm concerned if I simply install the old laptop SSD (which already has windows and drivers on it etc.) as a secondary drive, I could run into some conflicting issues, and it would lead to it being formatted/losing all that data on the old drive before I can back it up.
I was wondering what was the proper step/process to ensure that I can safely transfer all the data from my older SSD to the new laptop?
I also have a spare blank 1TB SSD (WD Blue SN550) to play with too (as I was intending to add storage/backup my older laptop - RIP).

I note from a previous thread (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/transferring-m-2-to-new-laptop.3695205/) that I can't simply just stick in my old SSD into my new laptop as a primary (or secondary) drive and expect it to work. Is the best option simply to get an external adapter? Is there any alternative means?
If I had to get an adaptor any recommendations (I'm in Australia).

FYI my previous SSD: Samsung SM961 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 (MZVKW512HMJP-00000) - 512GB (https://www.cnet.com/products/samsu...d-state-drive-500-gb-pci-express-3-0-x4-nvme/)

Thank you so much for taking your time to read and answer this. I appreciate your expertise, and apologise if this question has been asked before.

Solution
Welcome to the forums,newcomer!

Is the best option simply to get an external adapter?
Yes. You should invest in an enclosure or a dock to pair with your laptop via USB, only after you've booted into the new laptop's OS GUI, to migrate data from the old SSD.

Lutfij

Titan

Yes. You should invest in an enclosure or a dock to pair with your laptop via USB, only after you've booted into the new laptop's OS GUI, to migrate data from the old SSD.

Solution
Apr 8, 2021

Thanks for confirmation. Was just wondering if there was methods to do it without an external enclosure/dock, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.
I think i have an old Orico 2139u3 enclosure somewhere I can use.
On a tangent, is the Samsung SM961 a good SSD to retain, or should I sell it off, and retain the 1TB WD Blue SN550. I don't really need the extra storage given the new laptop will come with its own 500 GB SSD.