[SOLVED] Old laptop disk drive; accessing data???

Mar 6, 2020
My laptop died. Indications are there is an issue with overheating and fans/cooling not working properly.
I've pulled the disk drive from the laptop. The drive is a Western Digital 320 Gb, model WD3200BEVT, circa 2009.
However, when I connect the drive, via a 3.0 USB to SATA III cable to another system, the drive is recognized as 198 Mb . There are only 4 files reported via File a Explorer.
Other threads I've read seem to indicate that the presence of Windows on the old drive presents a conflict.
Is there a way to overcome these conflicts allowing me to transfer my data from the old drive to my new laptop.
Thanks for any assistance/direction you can provide.

Solution
Problem solved.
Thank you to all who offered their assistance in solving my dilemma.
Though I’ve be using computers for>45 years, from mainframes to mini’s to pc’s there is still much that I need to learn or better yet to remember it having happened before.
The files I was looking for were in the “User” folder which I initially was instructed I did not have permission to access. I simply needed go let the system index(?) the folder and there were the files I was looking to copy; approx. 12,000 files/ 50 Gb. Perhaps it is time to begin a periodic backup process.
Thank you again for your willingness to help
Mar 6, 2020
with the drive connected, look in Disk Management and see what it shows for the drive's partitions, size, etc.
The only systems I have easy access to are those at the local libraries and they don't allow access to the Disk Mgmt. utility. I'll have to go to my son's and connect to his system.
I'll post again after I do so.

In the mean time, when I connect the drive to the library's system, 3 File Exporer windows open up
System (F:) the directory is empty, the properties indicate 158mb free of 198 mb
Local Disk (G:) 18 folders [none of which are the ones I'm looking for],124 gb free of 281 gb
Recovery (H:) 1 folder[Recovery:] & 3 small files, 2.23 gb free of 15.8; the Recovery: folder is empty.

Mar 6, 2020
with the drive connected, look in Disk Management and see what it shows for the drive's partitions, size, etc.
with the drive connected, look in Disk Management and see what it shows for the drive's partitions, size
The only systems I have easy access to are those at the local libraries and they don't allow access to the Disk Mgmt. utility. I'll have to go to my son's and connect to his system.
I'll post again after I do so.

In the mean time, when I connect the drive to the library's system, 3 File Exporer windows open up
System (F:) the directory is empty, the properties indicate 158mb free of 198 mb
Local Disk (G:) 18 folders [none of which are the ones I'm looking for],124 gb free of 281 gb
Recovery (H:) 1 folder[Recovery:] & 3 small files, 2.23 gb free of 15.8; the Recovery: folder is empty.
I've been able to check the drive with Disk Managemen. I have a screen shot with the information but can't figure out how to post it to this thread . Any suggestions?

popatim

Titan
Post it on an image sharing site, such as imgur, and then link us to it please.

In Diskmanagement, right click on the big main partition (probably the old C:) and select Change Drive Letters and paths and then select a letter to assign to it. It will only offer letters that aren't in use. Don't use A or B.

Mar 6, 2020
Problem solved.
Thank you to all who offered their assistance in solving my dilemma.
Though I’ve be using computers for>45 years, from mainframes to mini’s to pc’s there is still much that I need to learn or better yet to remember it having happened before.
The files I was looking for were in the “User” folder which I initially was instructed I did not have permission to access. I simply needed go let the system index(?) the folder and there were the files I was looking to copy; approx. 12,000 files/ 50 Gb. Perhaps it is time to begin a periodic backup process.
Thank you again for your willingness to help

Solution