[SOLVED] Old Laptop rebuild ASUS C90S screen goes black but cpu still is running . . .

Jan 14, 2020
I am running Win7 pro SP1 7601 intell 6600 @ 2.40ghz 3GB RAM
GeForce 8600m GT 512
Soon after I load up my GPU drivers, the screen glitch occassionally if I am not doing too much, but will crash as soon as I try to run any programs, especially something involving the video card.
In the Event Viewer I see some events re-occuring over & over along with the crashes of my screen.

Level - Error; source - event log; event id - 6008; task catagory - none
Level - critical; source - Kernal Power; event id - 41; task catagory - (63)
Level - Error; source - event log; event id - 1101; task catagory - event processing
Level - Error; source - WMI; event id - 10; task catagory - none

When my screen goes black, you can still hear the computer running, just with no screen.
Unfortunately, my only choice at this point is a hard power down, which results in the option to boot in safe mode when it starts back up, so I do not know if any of these errors are related to the hard shutdown. (holding down power button)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
Your Laptop is long over due for a good cleaning. Take a bright flash light and darken your room, hold the flash light under the laptop where the intake fan is, now put laptop at eye level and look into exhaust fins. Can you see the light CLEARLY coming down the fins if not she needs to be cleaned.

You have just helped your video card heat issue After cleaning. good luck
Your Laptop is long over due for a good cleaning. Take a bright flash light and darken your room, hold the flash light under the laptop where the intake fan is, now put laptop at eye level and look into exhaust fins. Can you see the light CLEARLY coming down the fins if not she needs to be cleaned.

Solution
Jan 14, 2020

The cooling system on this machine is pretty robust and everything is clean and operating.

I can get the gpu driver installed, and the system appears stable at first. The screen will glitch occasionally, but I can cruise around in windows and run various on board utility windows programs.

However, If I try to play a video, then the screen goes black, but you can hear the video running in the background.

Thank you for your input.

TRENDING THREADS