Question Old laptop wont connect to WIFI

May 17, 2019
Laptop= Gateway t series with Turion 64 x2 tl-60 Realtek RTL8187b 802.11b/g wireless card and 2 gigs of ram with SSD and windows 10
Router= Belkin N600db N+

I dug up my old laptop the other day and to get it working again i got a new battery, ssd and new thermal paste (it was so hard i had to use a razor) and loaded a fresh windows 10 install.

Everything is great now except i cant connect to my WIFI. It sees my 2.4 ghz connection but after i put in my password it says "cant connect to the network"

Everything else connects to it just fine and i have also tried disconnecting other devices in case i was limited to a certain amount of connections.

I plugged in Ethernet and it connected fine and i did a WIFI hotspot from my phone and it connected fine.

Whats the problem here?

Reactions: bfcallan

bfcallan

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I am going to take a guess and assume that the wireless standard your Belkin is using is not registering with your old Gateway. I would say buying a USB wireless adapter would be your best bet to get that connected via Wi-Fi.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Re...&sprefix=asus+wireless+adapter,aps,198&sr=8-5

That would support the 2.4ghz channel and would do a much better job than your laptops built in Wireless NIC.

802.11n is supposed to fall back to b/g if the equipment doesn't support n. But it doesn't always work. Since b/g equipment was rapidly phased out in favor of n (and now ac), the problem wasn't really solved.

Edit: Since it sees the network but can't connect, it's possible the problem is your laptop's WiFi doesn't support WPA2-AES. Unfortunately, all other security options (WPA, WEP, TKIP) have been cracked and are deprecated. You shouldn't use them anymore. A router upgrade won't fix this - you need to upgrade the laptop's WiFi.

You've got two choices. Either upgrade to a newer router and hope it implements 802.11 b/g fallback better. Or upgrade the laptop's WiFi card. I'd recommend upgrading the laptop because 802.11 b/g force all other devices on the WiFi network to operate at their speed. That is, if you're using the laptop in the backyard on 802.11g and only getting 2 Mbps, then all other devices in your home will be limited to 2 Mbps. 802.11 n/ac support different speeds for different devices.

You can either get newer USB WiFi adapter, or if you're comfortable opening up the laptop (you must be if you repasted the CPU) you can replace the original WiFi adapter with a new one. Older laptops use a miniPCIe slot for WiFi cards. newer laptops use a M.2 slot (see end of the video). The USB adapters tend to have a tiny antenna, so have shorter range. The built-in adapter uses two (sometimes three) antennas built into the laptop's screen, giving you max range. They're fairly easy to swap out once you get the case open.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FERBOO_N5A4

Last edited:
Reactions: bfcallan

TRENDING THREADS