[SOLVED] Old Logitech M90 mouse works on my table surface, but a new bought one doesn't. Why?

Oct 8, 2019
I have a 3 year old Logitech M90 mouse that I have been using seamlessly on my glossy white smooth table surface. Recently, I bought an exact same Logitech M90 mouse, but this new one does not work on this surface.

What could be the reason for this?

Solution
In general, it's how the focus is adjusted in your optical sensor sample. It has to be focused on the micro-scratches on the surface to work, so you could try shimming up the feet. In three years Logitech may also have changed the sensor or assembly process too--they don't advertise what sensor their lowest-end mice use, so may switch suppliers at any time to reduce costs.

Laser sensors usually have an easier time with low-contrast backgrounds than optical ones (the coherent light from the laser is better at illuminating the scratches), although Logitech themselves claim only their two-laser "Darkfield" sensors will actually work on glass (Microsoft's competing BlueTrack can't do that!).
In general, it's how the focus is adjusted in your optical sensor sample. It has to be focused on the micro-scratches on the surface to work, so you could try shimming up the feet. In three years Logitech may also have changed the sensor or assembly process too--they don't advertise what sensor their lowest-end mice use, so may switch suppliers at any time to reduce costs.

Laser sensors usually have an easier time with low-contrast backgrounds than optical ones (the coherent light from the laser is better at illuminating the scratches), although Logitech themselves claim only their two-laser "Darkfield" sensors will actually work on glass (Microsoft's competing BlueTrack can't do that!).

Reactions: RedBlight
Solution
Oct 8, 2019
"It has to be focused on the micro-scratches on the surface to work, so you could try shimming up the feet."
Haha :D
Brilliant!
Glossy white surface was not the first surface I used the old mouse on. Its feet probably got eaten up a little bit, before I moved on to this glossy white table. So it worked seamlessly.
New mouse works too, if I apply extra pressure from the top and squish the rubber feet a little.
Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge.