Question old machine Windows XP Media center PC blue screen

Dec 15, 2018
Hi guys,
first sorry if this has been asked befor but I couldn't locate a thread with this issue. I have an old media Center PC (hp) that was running Windows XP. However a number of years ago it stopped working. windows would no longer load and I would get a "missing operating system" error.

as there were no disks with this machine, I tried to run a recovery, no luck, created a boot disk and recovery disks, still no luck.

the drives seem to work fine, as I can connect them to my new computer, and are able to pull the data off them.

I currently would like to get it back up an running as a computer for my kids but am kinda stuck on where to go next with a recover / reinstall of windows xp. I have the product key for this device but no idea where to go.

Bellow are images of the error messages I receive "missing operating system" at start up, and Blue screen when I try revovery.

Last edited:

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
Corrie... "system not found" screen can be a result of;
  1. Hard drive with OS not connected properly.
  2. Somehow, boot order got changed and BIOS is looking at wrong drive to boot OS.
  3. NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM file corrupt or missing.

That particular BSOD is almost always result of hardware issue... (I had this issue recently with an old failing Molex power plug).

Wolf