Old master IDE hard drive not showing up in Win10 Explorer

cuong-nutz

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
I have an old IDE hard drive that I used as my master in an old computer I built over a decade ago. I had purchased an IDE/SATA to USB converter and hooked it up to my new computer (windows 10) and it's not showing up in explorer or detecting a new device is plugged in. Funny thing is when I disconnect the USB cord, it says something like USB device failed to connect or something similar.
Hard drive spins up and isn't clicking and the jumper is out (slave setting). I cannot recall but the old hard drive had windows ME or XP if it matters.

Is this something I should look at Disk management utility? I'm trying to recover old files the hard drive.

Solution
Well 1) Could be an issue with drive itself or 2) and issue with the USB Adapter or 3) Windows may just not like it.

Most motherboards may still have an IDE controller on it. See if it has one and connect it that way.

Do you have another IDE drive to test on it? Maybe try plugging it into a different PC and see if you get the same issue?

and @countmike it is a IDE drive. I haven't come across any USB to IDE that will power a 3.5 inch drive and always have to use external power no matter what. Unless it is a 2.5 inch drive in which case it only gets the power form the adapter lol only on the SATA ones can you mistake those guys.

cuong-nutz

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014

I tried switching the jumper settings around and it doesn't work as Master, slave, or cable select. I do hear the noise/sound on Windows 10 like as if it's something is connecting repeatedly.

When I disconnect the power from the 3.5 hdd that it plays the disconnect sound. Under device manager
I see this: Unknown USB Device (Device descriptor request failed)

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed."

Well 1) Could be an issue with drive itself or 2) and issue with the USB Adapter or 3) Windows may just not like it.

Most motherboards may still have an IDE controller on it. See if it has one and connect it that way.

Do you have another IDE drive to test on it? Maybe try plugging it into a different PC and see if you get the same issue?

and @countmike it is a IDE drive. I haven't come across any USB to IDE that will power a 3.5 inch drive and always have to use external power no matter what. Unless it is a 2.5 inch drive in which case it only gets the power form the adapter lol only on the SATA ones can you mistake those guys.

Solution

That's why I asked about external power. I have one adapter that doesn't have input for power on it but needs another power adapter that didn't come with it.