[SOLVED] Old mobo,Craigslist find,worth upgrading CPU? Nforce 790i ultra sli intel 755 socket.

Sep 3, 2020
Nforce 790i ultra sli intel 755 socket. Found a working rig for 50 bucks on Craigslist and it hadn't ran since 2008.longt story short i cleaned it and it runs great. Problem is the cpu is only a pentium d 3.40ghz duo i think.wasnt exactly flying. MAIN QUESTION: i read it can take an intel core2 extreme X9770 as the most powerful CPUit can handle but prices are insane. Can it take an i7 or is the extreme 2 worth it or should I drop 250 on a decent new mobo i5 or something instead of the hassle/price. This mobo looks nice and prices made me question why so valuable.

Solution
I wouldn't have purchased it in the first place but, c'est la vie.

You should be able to put several different socket 755 chips in there but it depends on the BIOS ver., motherboard compatibility, thermal solution, and power supply. If you are thinking about getting a new i5 and motherboard, bear in mind that you'll need new RAM and probably power supply as well.

If you want to keep it cheap, look for old computers on eBay. You have a better chance of finding an old Dell with the CPU you want in it than finding just that CPU for sale.

You should be able to put several different socket 755 chips in there but it depends on the BIOS ver., motherboard compatibility, thermal solution, and power supply. If you are thinking about getting a new i5 and motherboard, bear in mind that you'll need new RAM and probably power supply as well.

If you want to keep it cheap, look for old computers on eBay. You have a better chance of finding an old Dell with the CPU you want in it than finding just that CPU for sale.

Reactions: Dirtybluff
Solution
Sep 3, 2020

Thanks for the reply.i luckily got a nice case off it and he tossed in a new 500w power supply. I have an old 550ti 2gb nvidia card to toss in to get somewhat back into pc games.problem is that extreme 2 is almost 600 some places which seems crazy.

Sep 3, 2020
Also side note I had a dell i5 660s and I managed to get it running in the case this morning and I think that might handle most games if im not mistaken. Just wondering if this old board with so many more sockets for cards ect and being so pricey is worth bringing back to life.