[SOLVED] Old monitor died. Buying new one.

LSITDude

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
My old 27" 1080p/60hz monitor died and am thinking of replacing it with:

https://www.costco.com/acer-nitro-3...dor-ips-gaming-monitor.product.100821603.html
aka Acer Nitro 32", Model XV320QU, costco item number 8323200 $349
I am liking the size and all the stand adjustments (height esp).

I'm wondering if my current video card (GTX 960 2gb) will work with it/can I run that monitor at 1080p/60hz for now. Will it look okay? Also thinking about updating GPU (maybe now/maybe a later date).
I use this monitor for gaming (GW2 and maybe some Borderlands 1, 2, 3 or Doom) but also use it for AutoCAD.

Here are my system specs (ancient but still kicking):
i5-2500k o.c.'d to 4.2GHz
P67A-GD65 (MS-7681) mb
960 GTX 2gb GPU
16gb DDR3 memory
Samsung Evo 250 ssd
750w PC Power & Cooling PS

I want to stick with something I can get from Costco for the bonus 2 year warranty. And Acer brand for their 3year warranty. But open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

What other brands can you get from Costco?

What are the finer points of the added Costco warranty?

2 more years of parts and labor to fix your monitor if you send it somewhere?

2 more years of parts and labor at a local repair location where you carry it in?

2 more years during which Acer will deliver a refurbed replacement at no cost?

Is your replacement shipped only after they receive your defective monitor?

2 more years of you are not exactly sure what might happen?

I'm not sure I'd make a decision based on an added 2 year warranty.

If you have to deal with Acer customer service at all (as opposed to Costco), you may not be amused.

LSITDude

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Actually I just went to Costco and verfied that it was not under the 2 year "extra" warranty, but under the customer satisfaction clause. Which means I can bring it back anytime if I am "unhappy" with my product. Also, they had a LG 32GN63T for $250 that I pulled the trigger on. And it seems to be running okay...so far.

LSITDude

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Yes, that is what I love about Costco...the item is right there to fool with. I saw that LG, but not feeling the curve (or that price :D).

I have another question: does it matter which displayport cable I buy? The 6' long one is just too short. Need to order a 10' one.

Yes, that is what I love about Costco...the item is right there to fool with. I saw that LG, but not feeling the curve (or that price :D).

I have another question: does it matter which displayport cable I buy? The 6' long one is just too short. Need to order a 10' one.
Apparently, there are two levels of displayport cables.
dp1.4 and dp 2.0
Pay the extra for the 2.0 variety.
For example:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Di...displayport+2.0+10+foot,electronics,75&sr=1-5

LSITDude

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Cable ordered and should be here tomorrow. Also, I am very surprised my 960 gtx 2gb is running this monitor in it's native resolution and at 120hz. May have to post a follow up in graphic card forum about a gpu upgrade ;D. Thanks for all you help