[SOLVED] Old monitor does not work after changing its resolution setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2021
Hello! I am having some issues with my secondary monitor (An LCD Horizon 9004LW). Recently got an adapter VGA > HDMI for it as I changed my GPU to a 1050TI that does not support VGA anymore. After plugging everything in, it worked for the first 5 minutes, then I tried changing the resolution of the monitor to its native setting. Now the monitor is black, but the PC registers it as the secondary monitor.

Any ideas how to solve this? I tried reinstalling my GPU Driver, changing the VGA cable and all that but to no avail. Thank you.

Solution
It's possible that the port on the video card just can't supply enough power to the adapter. The best solution is to always use an adapter with an external power supply. Either that or obtain a monitor with the proper inputs.
Jul 21, 2021
It's possible that the port on the video card just can't supply enough power to the adapter. The best solution is to always use an adapter with an external power supply. Either that or obtain a monitor with the proper inputs.
I'm pretty sure the supply of power is enough for an old monitor. However, after fiddling with the ports and such I discovered that only one monitor works at a time. For example if I plug out the main monitor, this old one will work, and the same is for the other way around. Are you familiar with this issue?

It sounds like it's exactly as I stated. The video card ports do NOT supply enough power to the adapter. You need an adapter with an external power supply. That's going to be the only way this works other than replacing that old VGA only monitor with a newer one not requiring clunky adapters.

Jul 21, 2021
I just solved the issue and now it works perfectly. Turns out it's a bug or something that triggers when you change the resolution and its workaround is to change the orientation to portrait and then back to landscape, and after that change the resolution, then it should work. Nevertheless, thank you guys for all the possible solutions, I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.