[SOLVED] Old monitor, New GPU

Feb 5, 2022
So I have a DELL P2312Ht and a Gigabyte GTX 1660, this monitor was working fine from its previous owner who used it as a 2nd display and his GPU was an RTX, although he used a Display port to VGA converter, I then assumed a VGA to HDMI would work but it didn't, any suggestions on what I should do? I looked it up and red one here, it said that I should use an "Active" adapter? I don't know what it is, to whoever would take their time to help me, thank you so much.

Solution
So I have a DELL P2312Ht and a Gigabyte GTX 1660, this monitor was working fine from its previous owner who used it as a 2nd display and his GPU was an RTX, although he used a Display port to VGA converter, I then assumed a VGA to HDMI would work but it didn't, any suggestions on what I should do? I looked it up and red one here, it said that I should use an "Active" adapter? I don't know what it is, to whoever would take their time to help me, thank you so much.

I assume you mean an HDMI to VGA? These aren't two-way things. The GTX 1660 doesn't have a VGA port and the signal goes from the GPU to the monitor.

In any case, not every converter is appropriate. It has to specifically be an active adapter, not a passive one...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please parse a link to the GPU you own? Where are you located and perhaps a preferred site for purchase? In case we do end up suggesting getting an active adapter for your GPU>Display tethering.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

I assume you mean an HDMI to VGA? These aren't two-way things. The GTX 1660 doesn't have a VGA port and the signal goes from the GPU to the monitor.

In any case, not every converter is appropriate. It has to specifically be an active adapter, not a passive one; HDMI is digital and VGA is analog. It will almost always say active if it is active.

Solution