Old motherboard, new power supply - no power?

khelvan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Hi, I was moving a P5W DH Deluxe with Core 2 Duo E6700 processor, 8 GB of RAM, a Radeon HD3870x2 and a SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatality to a new case, and giving it a new power supply. I did not originally put the system together, this is the first time I have tried to connect everything myself. I have a Corsair HX620W that I've set up now, I thought properly, but when I press the power button I get nothing.

I have tested the power supply using a paper clip and it starts, and powers fans, etc. I connected the EATXPWR connector, the 4-pin power connector, and also the system panel connections. When the system wouldn't power on I flipped the system panel connections the other way (since there was no instruction on whether I should have the label side up or down) but it didn't do any good.

What could be the problem? How do I troubleshoot this? I have no POST card, so I can't go that route...

Thanks!

khelvan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Ok, I re-set all the power connections, found a description of how to tell which direction to place the system panel connections, and tried it again - I now have a green LED and power when I hit the power button. However, I don't get any system beeps, and I have no video.

I have a Radeon HD3870x2, I plugged in the 6-pin power connection. I don't have an 8-pin power connector that will fit the 8-pin connector on the video card, could this be a problem? The red LED on the card is lit, however, so I think it has power too.

Thanks again in advance!

khelvan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
I guess I'll have to get an adapter - I don't have an 8-pin power connector on this power supply that fits properly :( The rounded and square pins/sockets don't line up :(

The 620HX should come with 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors. They should be a 6-pin connector with an extra 2 pins that can be connected to make it an 8-pin connector.

How long have you had the 620HX? I just did some more checking and I guess some of the early ones didn't come with the 6+2 connectors. If you really don't have the connectors, I think Corsair will send them to you. You really should have the 6+2 connectors since you said you were adding this PSU to your existing system. Double check the modular cable bag.

khelvan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Yeah, I have it - I'm an idiot. I never thought of adding two together.

All is well - I have POST and can get into CMOS, now I just need to set up my storage drives.

Thanks again!