Question Old motherboard newer GPU

Jul 1, 2024
Hey, I have Gigabyte M68MT-S2P (rev. 3.0) motherboard and I am thinking of getting RX 580 8GB
Will there be any problems and huge GPU performance limitations?

The rest of the build:

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 645 Processor, 3100 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

DDR3 2x4GB 1333 Mhz

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Possible issues. I believe that is well before UEFI BIOS became standard.

nForce chipset, along with a few VIA chipsets, were the last of the non-Intel/non-AMD chipsets. So I doubt AMD put much thought into compatibility with it for the RX series.

Not to mention that PCIe 1.0 was not well known for compatibility As I recall one of the early issues with RX series cards was overdrawing current from the PCIe slot. PCIe 1.0 didn't have high power delivery, that was fixed in PCIe 1.1.

All in all, I would say you can try it, but be expecting that it may not work.

Regardless you are correct. A GPU expecting PCIe 3.0 x16 is going to be running the equivalent of PCIe 3.0 4x with a PCIe 1.0 x16 slot.

A cheap 12th or 13th gen Intel i3 CPU/Motherboard/RAM will set you back about $200-220, that would be the way to go. Or get a new Ryzen 8000 APU like the 8600G and skip the graphics card entirely.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is the make and model of your PSU and it's age? So long as your board has a PCIe x16 slot, you're free to drop in any GPU onto it but logically your GPU will be limited in it's performance due to the platform. The platform you're on is from 2006, so logically dropping anything onto it in 2004 would be moot.

Jul 1, 2024
Thank you all for answers and for the welcome.

I am basically just playing Wow Classic, that's the older version from 2010 I believe, but it seems they made some changes, so my Radeon 6770 can't handle it anymore.
15-25 fps in moments of heat isn't playable

And PSU is Platinum MS-400ATX P4 400w, I would probably need to get 500w I guess

Knowing all you said I assume Rx 580 could work fine running such an old game, correct me if I am wrong

Edit: I found PSU Cooler master 500w 1x8pin

Last edited: