Question Old MSI Krait Gaming Z370: can't power it on

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Hello

Short introduction:
I'm trying to keep alive an old computer that was working OK enough still last week, but the PSU died (tested to be sure, it's really dead). My idea was to purchase a new PSU (done = Corsair RM850X), a new casing (done = Fractal PoP XL), transfer my components as are into the new casing (done), and restart the still-old-but-partially new computer as if nothing has changed.

Problem:
When I turn it on, nothing happens. It's as if there would be no power supply. Not the slightest move/noise nowhere to be seen/heard.

Hardware:
I'm sorry, the only one I can tell for sure is the MB: MSI Krait Gaming Z370.
But for the whole rest, I know only the following:
- CPU: intel core i7 8th generation
- Graphic card: MSI
- CPU cooler: Thermal Take water cooling
- SSD Samsung
But all is by far too old to recall what they are exactly. I don't have the documents and since I can't turn the computer on, I can't check.

What I tried so far:
I disconnected all components that are not mandatory and let only the MB and the GC: it didn't change anything. I turn it on and nothing happens.

Questions:
- My biggest worry: should the fan of the PSU not start at least, even if the rest doesn't react? Could it be that whatever is dead by the components, it has killed my brand new PSU?
- That nothing does react: is my MB dead maybe?
- What could I try to save that compy?

Thanks in advance

Lutfij

Titan
What I tried so far:
I disconnected all components that are not mandatory and let only the MB and the GC: it didn't change anything. I turn it on and nothing happens.

Breadboard your parts and see if you're able to get display out while on the iGPU(meaning you disconnect the discrete GPU from the build). Out of curiosity, what is the make and model of your older PSU that went kaput and how old was the unit?

The more info you can parse to us, the better. As it stands, much of your specs are vague;
- Graphic card: MSI
MSI is the brand of the AIB, not the GPU. What is the model of the card?
- SSD Samsung
Samsung have a number of drives in their portfolio, both old and new, which one do you have?
- CPU cooler: Thermal Take water cooling
Same story as above. Perhaps try and relieve some stress off the cooler's mounting.

- My biggest worry: should the fan of the PSU not start at least, even if the rest doesn't react? Could it be that whatever is dead by the components, it has killed my brand new PSU?
Your Corsair RM850x has a zero fan mode.

- That nothing does react: is my MB dead maybe?
You will need a donor motherboard to drop in your parts and see if they all work, if they do, then your current motherboard conked out with the PSU(assuming it wasn't reliably built).

You could also try and source a CH341A BIOS Programmer toolkit and reflash the BIOS on your motherboard, but that is after everything above has failed.

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
The old PSU got tested by a friend who has a tool to do that. It was a Seasonic 760XP (with a hybrid and a normal mode).

My compy is about 12 years old. I built it up around 2012, maybe earlier, am not sure. Unfortunately, the online shop where I purchased the components at the time doesn't exist anymore, so I can't check my order details and as said, I don't have the documents anymore apart from the user guide of my MB (that's why I know what the MB is).

I have two additional questions:
- The new casing requires to plug power LED 2 pins on JFP1 (on 2 and 4) only. In my old casing, a lot more was plugged covering all pins of the JFP1 (HDD LED, power switch, reset switch). Can that make a difference?
- Generally, since the build is really old, do you think it's worth the effort? Should I maybe rather give up?

I will try some of the ideas you gave in your post and post again later or tomorrow.

Last edited: