Question old netgear router - run from 12v car battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldfart

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2014
i want to battery operate a wifi router for cctv without internet. a 240v 75w inverter is 2nd best choice cos of battery drain. i will need 2.4 and 5.8 bands. my 2.4GHz camera demands v good signal, and there are 11x 2.4GHz gateways in range with latency problems for streaming.. i'm alone in the 5.8 band, and the nearest other gateway is at least 20ft and 2 brick walls away, my internet router is similar distance and can't connect. if my netgear router is adjacent the camera, am i likely to get connection, or am i too close to it or is there just too much traffic? a solution pls, which allows this to work.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check the wall plug for the router and see what its output is. If it is 12VDC you are in business. If it outputs AC it will be a no go.

If is does work with 12VDC then you will have to see how far into discharge it will continue to work properly. All DC stuff can typically work within a range of +/- 2VDC, give or take.

ldfart

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2014
I was wondering if i could just patch power in after the psu to run the whole thing, guess not, as several voltage levels are req'd? I can use an inverter, but there will be a lot of waste power. my house is 240AC only-no solar.

I am unclear what you are now asking. As stated above if the power block for the router uses 12 volts it will work fine from a battery. You see cameras with wifi routers/connections all over the place that are run by battery and a solar cell to recharge the battery.

If the router wants something other than 12 volts they make dc-dc power converters that will shift the voltage up or down and they are not very expensive.

I am not sure what you are asking about the PSU. You can of course get 12 volts from a computer power supply and you can rig a computer power supply to run without a motherboard with a simple paper clip. I am not sure how that is related to your question about battery.

ldfart

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2014
forgot router has plugpack-need to check volts/current. batt operation cos it's a mobile droid cctv linker. thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.