Kreia95

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
I build a gaming pc a few years back with these specs:
AMD FX 6300 6 core 3.5 GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 660
8 Gb RAM (2x4)
1 Tb HHD

I decided to build a new system, as I had a $580 Best buy credit laying around. (I hate bestbuy, and they have a shitty selection, but that's hard to pass up) This is what I decided on:

AMD FX 8350 8 core 4GHz (I know it's an FX, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than an Intel w/ comperable stats, and at this price, I might as well get a new motherboard if I plan on upgrading)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060
8 Gb Ram (1x8 - is 1 8 Gb chip better than 2 4Gb?)
Sticking with my same HHD, so I don't have to reinstall windows

So my main question is, will I get a significant boost in gaming performance with this new build? I also use ArcGIS often, so I like those extra cores. I'm curious as to what you experts think as to whether it's worth it? After the credit, I'll only be spending around $200 all said and done.

CPU upgrade kinda pointless, will hold you back really hard with the new GPU. (same if you don't upgrade)
2x4gb is better than 1x8.
Best buy is gonna have everything pretty overpriced as well...

Like that ram is probably 2x the price you can get it for.

You can use the bestbuy gift card online though...

But their selection is so awful, the only thing I'd really recommend is just getting the absolute best GPU you can from them, and then upgrade the rest of the components to be good when you have the money.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-founders-edition-geforce-gtx-1080-8gb-gddr5x-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card/5330600.p?skuId=5330600

Kreia95

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
You are certainly correct with Bestbuy being overpriced. Fortunately, I was able to pricematch a few things on Newegg. That CPU was around $129.00. I don't suppose you have any suggestions on a better CPU that won't break the bank? This was my second choice: Intel Core i5-7640X $229.00. It's only a 4 core, and at twice the price, but are more than 4 really worth it?

Thanks for the reply!

cores aren't a good measure of CPU power alone, neither are Ghz.
The FX-8000s are all pretty weak for what they are. (And the 9000s are complete utter piles of garbage, worse than the 8000s)
For gaming, the i5-7640x pretty much destroys the FX-8300.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7640X-vs-AMD-FX-8350/m310543vs1489
But you'll need a new mobo and new ram if you go that route. And have to reinstall windows and all your software.

I'd more recommend AMDs new Ryzen CPUs over the current Intel i5s though. But same situation, new mobo, new ram, new windows.

Kreia95

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016

I think I'll definitely go for the Ryzen instead of the other two. Probably going to hold off for a while and just get the gpu for now though. Thanks again for all the help, I appreciate it.