[SOLVED] Old ( not joking) Rig building

Aug 3, 2019
Hello guys!
I am building a rig and I need help...
I have got this mobo: M2N68-LA (Narra3), and I was adding some more memory to it, so then I bought OCZ2SE8001G which are PC2 6400 800MHz 1Gb each, however, when I added then to the system it doesn't starts anymore. So tried to move then from the slots and now to out of four work on the blue slots, and I had to seat back my previous RAM to the black slots.
I would like to know why that happened, and if there's a way to settle all the four OCZ RAM together rather than using different memory.
I will leave here my system specs upfront, as I believe you guys would need to know to be able to help me.

PSU 300W
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
  • Supported DIMM types:
    • PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
    • PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
  • Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs
  • Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
Now running 4Gb of RAM
Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE

I know this may sound ridiculous, but I have just got this desktop ( a friend gave me), so by instinct I thought the best thing to do would be upgrade the RAM first and then go for the rest.
I accept all kind of suggestions as this is my very first computer.

PS.: I know guys, DDR 3, 4...are a lot faster than DDR2, I am aware that a PC with 2Gb DDR 4 would be a lot faster than the one I have got, however this is what I got for now, and I would like to begin by doing the mods on this and than later on moving to better rigs.

Solution
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

To properly upgrade the ram to 8gb, buy a 4 x 2gb ram kit.
If you go to a ram web site such as crucial or Kingston enter your motherboard and you will get a list of supported 8gb kits.
Mixing different DRAM modules seldom works. I suspect this is your problem but you don't say what your previous DRAM is.

Also be aware that to use DDR4 DRAM you must also change your motherboard and processor.

I suggest saving your money for a better rig when you can upgrade everything at once.

Reactions: AlanRN
Aug 3, 2019
Mixing different DRAM modules seldom works. I suspect this is your problem but you don't say what your previous DRAM is.

Also be aware that to use DDR4 DRAM you must also change your motherboard and processor.

I suggest saving your money for a better rig when you can upgrade everything at once.

Hello thx1138v2! And thank you for you reply.
I know that if I want to go for DDR 4 or so I would have to change my mobo.
I am still using the old ones, mixed with the new ones. The old one are PC2-5300 (667 MHz) , so they are slower, and they are causing a downgrade on my memory clock, that's why I want to change them, to be able to use all 4 memory, with the same clock...

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
The description of your problem is a bit confusing, especially, as mentioned above, you don’t mention what are your original ram modules.
That being said, although DDR2 is much more forgiving about mixing modules than DDR4, it might still cause conflict and cause failure to boot. It is always wise to mixe modules that have same timing.
Now it is also possible that your new ram modules might be faulty. Does your pc boot when using only the new modules? Does the old modules work in either the blue or the black slots?

Reactions: AlanRN
Aug 3, 2019
The description of your problem is a bit confusing, especially, as mentioned above, you don’t mention what are your original ram modules.
That being said, although DDR2 is much more forgiving about mixing modules than DDR4, it might still cause conflict and cause failure to boot. It is always wise to mixe modules that have same timing.
Now it is also possible that your new ram modules might be faulty. Does your pc boot when using only the new modules? Does the old modules work in either the blue or the black slots?

Hello GrandSACHI! I am sorry if I am not describing properly the issues I am having, that's because I don't have much knowledge about it.
Yes, my old modules works on all slots. I was testing the modules ( new ones) on all slots, one by one, and the only way to make them work is to install them on the slots I mentioned before.
The only problem I am having is when I seat the new ones on the slots I mentioned. I was wondering if those modules might need too much wattage, however I was chacking on another website about how many watts do I need to make my system work, and it says I need about half that I have now...

Aug 3, 2019
I will add here the old modules I am using alongside with the new ones I have mentioned before.

Samsung PC2-5300 (667 MHz) 1Gb ( x2) Non buffered. ECC. 240 Pin

A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

To properly upgrade the ram to 8gb, buy a 4 x 2gb ram kit.
If you go to a ram web site such as crucial or Kingston enter your motherboard and you will get a list of supported 8gb kits.

Solution

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Yeah, upgrading from 4GB 667MHz to 4GB 800MHz would have little to no impact on performance, I mean.. at all. As mentioned by geofelt, moving from 4GB to 8GB on the other hand may have greater impact, although the gain would greatly depend on the usage you have for your computer.