Old, odd. Unique, and rare gpus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sedative

Prominent
Mar 1, 2019
Hey everyone, sense becoming disabled I've gotten into hardware and gou specify. So, I started collecting cheap ones on ebay and and setting up a benchmark right now so I can test them all! My reason for posting this was to ask if anyone had an interesting gou laying around they would mind getting rid if at a reasonable price, I also plan on miuntingvthen to the wall so pics to come!

Tl:dr WTB unique gpus

Also as a side note, I've got 2 voodoo 2s that I want to make a build around, any ideas on the best mobo/cpu/ram for it?...

Thanks all.
Austin

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Voodoo 2s? 586 class stuff would be era appropriate if a bit newer than the cards.

So Pentiums (Intel) and K6 (AMD), probably some Cyrix as well if you want to stick with more unique stuff. Ram and motherboards would be whatever you can find that goes with the chips you find. Going to need at least 3 PCI slots, 4 if you want sound. You'll still need a 2D GPU as well, 2s only did 3D. But nothing says you can't run it with a Pentium III or K6-2.

I had a pair of voodoo 2s in a 486 with a Pentium 83Mhz overdrive chip in it for a while. But that was more happenstance than anything else. Pretty quickly moved on to a voodoo 3 3000 when that was available.

Not going to be much in terms of modern benchmarks you can run to compare them with more recent cards.

Sedative

Prominent
Mar 1, 2019
Voodoo 2s? 586 class stuff would be era appropriate if a bit newer than the cards.

So Pentiums (Intel) and K6 (AMD), probably some Cyrix as well if you want to stick with more unique stuff. Ram and motherboards would be whatever you can find that goes with the chips you find. Going to need at least 3 PCI slots, 4 if you want sound. You'll still need a 2D GPU as well, 2s only did 3D. But nothing says you can't run it with a Pentium III or K6-2.

I had a pair of voodoo 2s in a 486 with a Pentium 83Mhz overdrive chip in it for a while. But that was more happenstance than anything else. Pretty quickly moved on to a voodoo 3 3000 when that was available.

Not going to be much in terms of modern benchmarks you can run to compare them with more recent cards.
Yeah, the benchmarking is more for the newer gpus I have... i just got the voodoos because i remember drooling over wishing i had one for my rig for everquest

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Interesting - reminds me that I've got a few old bits lying about.

Actually, I wonder if my old K6-2+ 400 system still runs. 192MB RAM, I think the CPU is undervolted to 1.9V and overclocked to 450Mhz. I think the GPU is an old ATI 7250 AGP.

Though I believe I have an old MSI ATI 9550 card somewhere as well. Though, I wonder if the 7250 and 9550 are later era than what you'd be looking for.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've kept nearly everything pre PCIe. But dribs and drabs have migrated out of my care and lost to time.

My silly pride and joy is a Dual Pentium II with a Voodoo 5 5500 and Sound Blaster AWE32 (with midi table). I bought an old Dell Poweredge 4200 at a swap meet. Basically a gigantic ATX case akin to an Corsair 540. Power supplies and hot swappable drive bays on the right, motherboard and expansion cards on the left.

When I got it home, it worked. Couldn't convince myself to strip it and use it as I was planning. So I ebayed for some memory, a pair of the fastest CPUs it would take, and some SCSI trays with drives (it was missing two). Put it all together and it runs Windows 2000 with a grand total of 20GB of storage and 512MB of ECC memory (a lot for the the Pentium II days)

Sounds like a freight train, but it works. Used to host an Unreal Tournament server on it. Actually became my stop gap primary system for a while when my 2800+ decided to go nuts. (Only computer I actually don't recall what happened to)

You need to find a copy of the original Grand Theft Auto and use it with the Voodoo 3Dfx Glide drivers. The game ran so smooth it was insane. I played that combo like crazy in my youth. I also played Quake II with Glide on a 28.8kbps dial up connection. Was my first multiplayer experience.

If memory serves, I had a Pentium 120mhz. with a Voodoo2.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Ah, GTA in glide mode, that was something to see. Bit fuzzy looking as I recall. I think they were going for a contoured look to the car bodies, just never quite looked right compared to software rendering, but yeah, tons of FPS for the time.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=534

I certainly tracked down a Mechwarrior 2 glide version. Interstate 76, Die by the Sword, Hyperblade, Quake, Unreal, played D2 in glide with my Voodoo 3 think that was the last game before I switched to Nvidia. Not sure if I had Simcopter during those days. There was also a racing game I had that doesn't seem to be on that list, but I can't recall the name. Kind of a mix between, rally, nascar, and stunt driver. Had corkscrews and loops in the tracks. (Found it, was called Whiplash)

I know a lot of arcade consoles of the time used 3DFX for graphics as well, so there are actually a lot more games that supported it that never made it as PC titles. A few of the popular ones were ported like Virtua Fighter.

Last edited:
My silly pride and joy is a Dual Pentium II with a Voodoo 5 5500 and Sound Blaster AWE32 (with midi table).
The Awe32 with the Yamaha wavetable was unreal. The music from Decent was straight out of a studio when paired with the cambridge soundworks microworks with the large sub. I wanted to record that to a .wav file to save as it sounded so awesome. Too bad the supermicro board in that system is shot right now. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS