[SOLVED] Old pc - a brrr noise comes out when I hit the power button on my case

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
so I have a old computer with old case, when I press the power button to start my pc a sound comes out from the pc case, that sound/noise always happened like since day one we purchased it, my only guess it is not a problem but now that exact same noise 2-3 times repeated the exact moment I hit the power button. My pc includes an DVD rom to install games from discs, perhaps thats why? My point is that same noise is increased 2 or 3 times instant repeated in same moment, it is like 1-2 seconds of happening or may be even miliseconds, dunno how I can explain this but I do hope you understand what I mean, Windows 10 installed on a SSD so I take it its not a issue with the setup or any hard drives, all SMART values in my HDDs are completely OK with no relocated sector events.

What's the problem here? I'd like to mention that some similiar type of sound/noise also happens in Winter seasons, my room is kinda small but it is very cold during the snow and rain, my location is indeed cold right now but no heavy rain or snow, though 4-5 days ago there was storm with rain, and my computer stays somewhat close to the room window, perhaps thats why? I noticed that weird one sound goes away or never happens in summer or spring. so I take it due to cold weather?

You properly understand yes? There is two sounds, one is normal one since day one and the second one the "weird" one usually happens in winter and/or cold weathers,

I noticed my hard disks were in 21c in this morning when I first boot up, two of them still in 27c the moment I'm typing this and I just launched my pc on and it is almost afternoon here,

Thank you

Solution
Could be a fan bearing or it could be the DVD drive as both can be affected by cold temps.

With the PC off take the side panel off and unplug the power from the DVD player and start the PC. If you still have the noise with the DVD unplugged then try disconnecting the fans in the case one at a time. Make sure to shut the PC down each time before unplugging or reconnecting the fans.
Could be a fan bearing or it could be the DVD drive as both can be affected by cold temps.

With the PC off take the side panel off and unplug the power from the DVD player and start the PC. If you still have the noise with the DVD unplugged then try disconnecting the fans in the case one at a time. Make sure to shut the PC down each time before unplugging or reconnecting the fans.

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
The best way to troubleshoot a system is to first learn of the specs of said system. Then you go into how to deal with XYZ. From the way you've stated it, to me, it looks like the buzzer on the motherboard is going off, indicating that something might be off.

We will need to know the specs of your build. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
OS: version of OS since you've stated you're on Windows 10.

We will also need a video/audio clip to corroborate the issue/your experience so we're not misinterpreting what you've stated.

It is federal money printer, don't bother about it.

Ok, open computer case and check which fan does not turn. Most likely bearings are failing on CPU or PSU fan. You can poke in middle of noisy fan to know which one (correct "braked" fan will cut the noise). Replace the bad fan with good one. That is all.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
ok sorry for the wrong alert people, I just did a small test, since now I used my computer for sometime now and hard drives and the pc itself become some hot against cold temperature (Windows 10 itself is a roasting machine anyways) I turned off the computer and then quickly turned back on, guess what happened, no more strange noise. So my guess its happens only when first boot up, I take it that is a normal behaviour in cold weather, like I said it is happened before in more snowy conditions outside but I wanted to make sure,

so computer must be stay in a balanced state, no extreme cold no extreme hot, yes?

Thanks and good day to you

If fan bearings already begin to die (cause of grinding noise), they apparently will fail later. If this computer is not critical 24/7 one, you can ignore short noises on turning on. But be ready to replace faulty fan when noise become permanent. Or something in computer under this fan will overheat and fry instead when fan will stuck.