Old PC Blowing up PSU's

jake.g.kirby

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
A while back in 2010 I bought an AM2+ motherboard along with 4gb DDr2 Ram and a phenom ii x4 955. The system ran fine with an old budget radeon card in with just a 250w psu. In 2012 I upgraded the card to a GTX 560 ti and since then i've been having problems. Straight away the 250w blew (which looking back i'm not surprised) so i replaced it with a 500w cheap psu from amazon and this blew up too. I actually then replaced this shortly after with an OCZ 650w PSU and it ran fine for a long time...

Back in summer i decided to upgrade to a new system and the parts got boxed up until last week where i thought i'd donate them to my girlfriend, she bought a new PSU and case for it since i'd used the old ones in my new build. I got her a corsair 550w bronze to replace it and that blew after a couple of hours of games, feeling bad for her i sent it back to amazon and ordered a 600w replacement by ev3a but this has just blown too, the system only has 1 hdd and a few fans nothing major so i'm just wondering why it needs more than a 600w power supply, since this seems a bit ridiculous. Or if there's any other factors that are causing it, ways to avoid using so much power etc...

Any help or advice on what to do is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Solution
Without knowing the EVGA PSU model you bought, i can't say if it also was low quality PSU just like the Corsair VS you bought.

Different persons have different standards (some have higher standards while others have lower standards) and it's up to every person to decide how good of a build quality components are safe to use in their PC. But keep in mind that PSU is the most important component inside the PC since it powers everything.

If you don't trust EVGA or Corsair anymore, go with Seasonic since you can't go wrong with the oldest and best PSU OEM in the world. For your GF's PC 500W range PSU is more than enough, e.g: M12II-520 EVO, G-550 or Focus+ 550,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/TgW9TW,DPCwrH,bkp323/

Focus+...
yeah look theres thing thing when it comes to electronics.

Quality > quantity.

its about the quality of the components and the voltage stability.
there are 100 dollars 500w units and 20 dollars 500w units.
some are titanium some are bronze , this is a common mistake as well because this only affects the efficiency..

this is a good unit. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $49.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-29 09:00 EST-0500

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Without knowing the EVGA PSU model you bought, i can't say if it also was low quality PSU just like the Corsair VS you bought.

Different persons have different standards (some have higher standards while others have lower standards) and it's up to every person to decide how good of a build quality components are safe to use in their PC. But keep in mind that PSU is the most important component inside the PC since it powers everything.

If you don't trust EVGA or Corsair anymore, go with Seasonic since you can't go wrong with the oldest and best PSU OEM in the world. For your GF's PC 500W range PSU is more than enough, e.g: M12II-520 EVO, G-550 or Focus+ 550,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/TgW9TW,DPCwrH,bkp323/

Focus+ is the newest PSU line from Seasonic and it comes with 10 years of OEM warranty. Other listed Seasonic PSUs come with 5 years of OEM warranty.
All my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs with pics in my sig.

Solution

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Actually, buying the cheapest PSU can cost the value of entire PC since when low quality PSU blows, there's a good chance that it will fry everything it's connected to.

What i don't get is why to save $20 by cheaping out on a PSU when there's a good chance paying $1000+ for new PC. Even entire houses have burnt down due to the fires caused by the crap PSUs when they have blown up.