[SOLVED] Old PC BSODs, need to eliminate GPU as the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2021
So over the past half a year or so my pc has been randomly crashing every now and then, first it started with just freezing while playing games, didnt get a BSOD but still had to hard restart the computer. However like 2 months ago my pc started randomly freezing and crashing into BSOD even while watching youtube vidoes and most of the time it would crash instantly into BSOD on restart at least once. I also had a weird sound loop every time it happened.
Most threads said it was driver issue so i tried installing the newest nvidia drivers and even rolling back to some old ones but it didnt help. So i ended up completely resetting PC to factory settings about 15 days ago and that seemed to work - or at least for a bit. Today i got the same crash(freeze + sound loop -> bsod) around 3 times, first in a game, then on startup and then while watching a twitchtv stream. After the third crash my PC didnt even want to boot so the only option was to reset my PC from safe mode once again and it booted normally (that was around 5 hrs ago and didnt crash since)

I am not really looking to fix my PC since its old and i got a whole new PC except for the graphics card because they are impossible to get at normal prices i can afford so what im trying to do is eliminate my GPU as the failing component so i can build my new PC without worrying its gonna start crashing again.
Is there any way to make sure the GPU is 100% not at fault without trying it in a different PC since i dont have one.
I already tried running FurMark for about 30 minutes, temp didnt go above 77C and i didnt see any graphical errors but as i said nothing was happening the past 2 weeks either so i cant really be sure.

The GPU is around 3.5 yrs old while the rest of the components are almost 6.

CPU : i5-6500 3,2ghz
GPU : GTX 1060 6GB
MB : ASRock B150M Pro4S
8GB RAM

Solution
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Could run off IGPU on CPU and see if you still get errors. Gaming...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Could run off IGPU on CPU and see if you still get errors. Gaming won't work all that well off integrated though. It is one way to see if eerrors caused by GPU though. If you still BSOD without GPU in PC, its not the card.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.