[SOLVED] Old PC builder with too many questions....Last full build was a Q6600!! I am old. lol

Jul 20, 2019
Ok. I am hoping the title made people laugh and not run for the door. As stated, my last true ground up build was when the Q6600 processor first released!! MUCH has changed in the PC world in nearly 15 years. Some for the good, some not. Well I am planning a new machine. My laptop does its job, but I need more, and the pre-built Pcs out there all lack things I want, or have way wore than I will ever use. So, time to re-hone some skills.....or learn them again. I did do a custom water loop on the CPU, GPU, and Chipset on that system and am pretty up to date on specs and stuff. What I need are those of you that are more up to date on components that work best with each other, PC case selection(too many to choose), and help locate some items that dont seem to exist any more in the PC world?
System use:
moderate to low gaming(unless camelot unchained is ever released)
web browsing
video capture TV PVR/ CCTV DVR
Kodi(often)
media system
I plan to use the AMD Ryzen 3700X, and not much sure on the rest. Should I use B450, X470, X570(way over priced). Case choice depends on watercooling or air. I prefer a smaller form factor, but only if cooling allows for it. Power usage is also a concern as it will be in a solar panel run cabin, and dont need a massive system any way. I have a lot of DVDs and Bluray movies, so a drive is pretty important, but not a deal breaker if case does not allow(can always go external if needed). My top end sytem(in my mind) would be a 3700X on an X470 MB, with RTX2080ti, proper 3600Ram, with AIO for CPU, GPU air cooled. Case dream is the Louqe Ghost, but price and avail are cr@p.
Now for those of you much more up to date than I. That "old" 6600 system had a device called the iMon. I was a dual drive bay display that would show tv/movie/music/news info on the screen and came with an RF remote with trackpad on remote. As much as I have looked, NOBODY has anything like it any more!! It seems the more I look at PC parts, the more I realize "true" customization choices are much less now versus then! I know I could put a mini "display" on the case itself, but it is the integration of software, display of info, and remote control that made the iMon something that should still exist.
So, those of you that are up to a challenge, help me get this system designed in my head. And while your at it, feel free to teach an old dog some new tricks.
Thanks ahead of time, and wish me luck!!

Solution
If you dont buy x570, you must buy a 400 series board that allows you to update the bios via usb without a supported cpu. The board below supports that.

This is a micro atx board in a micro atx tower. The case can fit the 2080ti and a 240mm rad. It fits an optical drive.

I never heard of such device.i

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $329.00 @ B&H
CPU Cooler | Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $60.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard | MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $84.99 @ Amazon
Memory | G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory |...
If you dont buy x570, you must buy a 400 series board that allows you to update the bios via usb without a supported cpu. The board below supports that.

This is a micro atx board in a micro atx tower. The case can fit the 2080ti and a 240mm rad. It fits an optical drive.

I never heard of such device.i

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $329.00 @ B&H
CPU Cooler | Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $60.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard | MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $84.99 @ Amazon
Memory | G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $78.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Intel - 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $94.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card | MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB VENTUS OC Video Card | $1049.99 @ Newegg
Case | Fractal Design - Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case | $66.40 @ Walmart
Power Supply | SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $96.00 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive | Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer | $19.85 @ OutletPC
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1896.00
| Mail-in rebates | -$15.00
| Total | $1881.00
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-20 18:08 EDT-0400 |

Solution
Jul 20, 2019
Appreciate that Remix. I like that parts list, but not the case. Good to know some B450s will work(with BIOS update). I was concerned with power issues on B450s. I had seen some reviews of the power delivery and cooling of such not able to work well past 6 cores. Maybe due to the lower TDP 65watt of the 3700X? Price wise, that is right around my expected goal of $1500-$2k. I will keep this thread going in hopes of shrinking down to a mini-itx board and slightly smaller case tho. As far as that iMon device goes, it was made by a company called Soundgraph if I recall correctly(i am getting old as I have said). It was just an LCD screen with a nob and a few buttons, but man it made using the PC so easy in a media center setting(yes it was on windows media center OS).
On the case hunt, I am getting a smallish list together of cases I like and will post them soon to get some input from you guys on any pluses/ minuses of using each.
Thanks again for any and ALL input/ help

Jul 20, 2019
Cases I like(in order)

Louqe Ghost S1 mITX
Nouvolo Steck mITX
NCase M1 mITX
CoolerMaster Elite 130 mITX
Thermaltake Suppressor F1 mITX
Thermaltake Core V21 mATX
Silverstone SG0 1B mATX
Coolermaster HAF Stacker mITX
Coolermaster Lanbox Lite mATX
Coolermaster Lanbox HAF XB II EVO ATX

Jul 20, 2019
I am definatly not short changing your input guys. I see your opinions are based on logic and backed with data. I do not want to offend anyone, I just have a set idea of what i need esthetically, and power/ use requirements.I appreciate the info on 2700x vs 3700x power draw, and it does make sense. I may not need a 2080ti, maybe lower, or even under clock CPU/ GPU slightly for temps/ power. My most important objectives are, it does what i need it to do, doesnt melt itself or surroundings, and wife does not mind the looks, or sounds(it is going in the bedroom). My "top 10" choices have a couple mATX and 1 ATX case listed, but all my "top 5" are mITX it seems, with an asterix. The top 2 cases both have "top hats" to increase internal volume of case. They sell small, med, lrg top hats. A large top hat on top and bottom allows for a 240mm AIO on top and 2 Noctua 120mm fans on bottom, as well as any front, side, rear fan placements. I am going for a silent as possible, but do not want major heat issues.

Aug 6, 2019
Cases I like(in order)

Louqe Ghost S1 mITX
Nouvolo Steck mITX
NCase M1 mITX
CoolerMaster Elite 130 mITX
Thermaltake Suppressor F1 mITX
Thermaltake Core V21 mATX
Silverstone SG0 1B mATX
Coolermaster HAF Stacker mITX
Coolermaster Lanbox Lite mATX
Coolermaster Lanbox HAF XB II EVO ATX

I'm in the same boat. I want to build a high-performance tiny PC, but it's hard to find information. I love the louqe, but i don't even know how to get them. Is the only option eBay? I have so many questions about this 3rd gen ITX stuff. Have you figured anything out yet or made any decisions?