Question Old PC not starting with GTX660 yet starts with a GTX960

dj.slendi

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
TLDR: Old PC is booting up fine with a GTX960 4GB graphics card yet fails to boot with an older GTX660 2GB

I have an old computer that's used by some people in the house, and I have a fairly modern gaming PC to use myself. I need a second graphics card for my gaming PC to set up some stuff on Linux (VFIO) so I decided to put the GTX960 from the old PC into my own PC, and in place of that I would put an old GTX660 that I have laying around.

But when I swap the cards in the old PC, I get stuck at "Verifying DMI pool data" screen.

Old PC specs:
MOBO: GA-78LMT-S2
RAM: DDR3 8GB
CPU: AMD FX-8320E
PSU: 600W
GPU: MSI GTX 960 4GB
SYSTEM: Windows 10

I am sure that PSU is not the problem cause if it manages to run a more modern and more powerful card like the 960 then I don't think a 660 would cause problems.

I have already tried resetting the CMOS battery, and that did not work. Before removing the graphics card I have of course uninstalled the drivers (first time in the control panel and when that did not work I used DDU).
Also on a side note, doing anything in the BIOS is impossible because it freezes like 5 seconds after opening it.

The GTX660 is probably not faulty because when I put it into my gaming PC as the secondary card, it is recognized by the system.
INB4 anyone asks why I don't just use the GTX660 as the secondary card in my own PC, one of the fans is vibrating and that's annoying to me, also IIRC support for older graphics cards on Linux systems is limited.

So, what might cause the system to not boot?

dj.slendi

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
PSU is "rebeltec titan 600w"
Probably a lesser known make and model, because the old PC was a pre built one I didn't choose it.
After reading some opinions on the internet it seems like it's a really trash PSU, but considering it somehow runs a more powerful card, can it be at fault?

logainofhades

Titan
PSU is "rebeltec titan 600w"
Probably a lesser known make and model, because the old PC was a pre built one I didn't choose it.
After reading some opinions on the internet it seems like it's a really trash PSU, but considering it somehow runs a more powerful card, can it be at fault?

The GTX660 is slower, but uses a bit more wattage.
GTX 660 is a 140w card. The GTX 960 is a 120w card.