[SOLVED] old pc performing better then freshly built pc

Oct 13, 2019
a few years ago i got a pc from a friend, it consisted of a geforce gtx 660 evga ftw signature 2, i7 2600k, and 16 gb's of ddr3 ram. this pc has worked for me just fine for the time being, game crashes were few and far between and i got around 120 fps steady on low settings on most games. that was all i needed, it could even stream csgo at a very playable frame rate. but eventually i built my own pc.

this new pc consisted of an rx570 used for mining which i had flashed the original bios onto, a ryzen 3 2200g, 8 gb's of ddr4 ram, and a brand new 600 watt evga power supply.
as soon as i had finished updating and downloading all of the necessary drivers i had gotten into some gaming, i had started off with fortnite (no i dont enjoy the game just a benchmark) and on the lowest settings which my old pc had gotten 120 fps steady, i was getting around 80 fps with frame drops EVERY TIME SOMETHING HAPPENED, not really an exaggeration either any type of movement would cause the game to frame drop and it made the game unplayable, this also happened with other games just to a lower degree, what could i do to fix this? it was already a budget built so id rather not buy new parts until i find out what was causing these problems

Solution
What did you do with Windows when you did all this swapping? Normally it's recommended to reinstall Windows, that'll delete all the old motherboard info, and renew the registration with the new stuff. That'll also require installing new motherboard chipset drivers which are tailored specifically for maximum performance from those chipsets and not relying on Windows generic versions.

You should also have used DDR (guru3d.com) to remove any/all nvidia drivers and associated files/links and then installed the amd gpu drivers. Just Windows delete does Not do the job correctly and often ends up in driver conflicts (nvidia and Amd Really do not like each others drivers)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What did you do with Windows when you did all this swapping? Normally it's recommended to reinstall Windows, that'll delete all the old motherboard info, and renew the registration with the new stuff. That'll also require installing new motherboard chipset drivers which are tailored specifically for maximum performance from those chipsets and not relying on Windows generic versions.

You should also have used DDR (guru3d.com) to remove any/all nvidia drivers and associated files/links and then installed the amd gpu drivers. Just Windows delete does Not do the job correctly and often ends up in driver conflicts (nvidia and Amd Really do not like each others drivers)

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution