[SOLVED] Old PC RAM Upgrade

IceBleu

Honorable
Mar 14, 2017
Hello,

So I recently came across an old HP Compaq dc5800 Business PC SFF. I started looking into it and I thought I might make a fun little project out of this just to kill some time. So I've been doing some research and finding out how to upgrade this thing and I've gotten a fairly good start. I've narrowed down a replacement CPU and a CPU cooler that I would like to use on it but I can't seem to find any RAM for it. Well, that's not true it's more like I can't figure out what RAM I can use with it. From what I've read from 2 different sources is that it takes "PC2-6400 (DDR2-800 MHz) Non-ECC DIMM Memory " and/or "8 GB DDR2-Synch DRAM ". Now I'm pretty sure these dark magic chants mean the exact same thing but I don't know a thing or where to start looking. I thought Crucial might be able to help me but that RAM is way too expensive on a small project I'm wanting to pass the time with. So I figured I'd try eBay for some used RAM but that's where the confusing part started. I'm not sure what I can get and what will work. If I could understand the dark magic chant's meaning I could probably narrow it down but I'm looking at it and going like "Well, they are showing that this RAM is as exactly as I copied and pasted but then it's got some extra added chant's onto it that I'm not sure if it affects it." So hoping someone could help me solve this little problem and I can get some more RAM ordered for this giant paperweight.

TRENDING THREADS