[SOLVED] Old PC setup maxxed?

Feb 14, 2019
So I just bought a used motherboard, cpu, ram and a gpu all for 180$. Wondering if it's maxed out or if there is any upgrade I can do? Is this a good system for how old it is? I will be upgrading everything listed in the future but this will get me by for a little while.

Mobo: Asus m4a89td pro/usb3
Cpu: Amd phenom ii x6 1100t
Ram: 2 Mushkin stealth 8gb
Gpu: Msi gtx 1050ti
Psu: Evga 80plus 600w

Also, I just bought a new Samsung 860 256gb SSD that I want to use my OS on. I know you can clone but I've heard this isn't the best way to transfer things over. I have windows 10 but no disk since it was upgraded from Windows 7. I need to know how do I go about getting my OS onto my new SSD without having to reinstall everything else. I have a couple games on my HDD that I'm worried about losing all my saved progress, reinstalling isn't a problem, it's my saved progress. Thanks

Solution
If it has a BIOS update installed, the best you can do is an i7-7700K.
If not, the best is an i7-6700K.

If you plan on the system lasting a long time, I'd opt for the best CPU you can. i5's are viable too (6400, 6500, 6600K, 7400, 7500, 7600K), but the quad core nature, lacking hyperthreading may struggle in certain titles &/or in newer releases.
The 1050TI is a solid 1080p card, and would be capable enough paired with the newer platform. Something like a 7700K could pair with anything up to and including a GTX1080 without much problem. Realistically, you could pair up to a 2080TI right now with an i7..... just YMMV depending on the title/resolution.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Given it's age, it's fine for what it is - but I wouldn't have bought it.
However, give a 1050TI is a ~$160 new, I guess you could consider the purchase somewhat ok.

For installing Windows 10, you can create your own installation media:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

If you install your OS to the SSD, you can leave bulk media (pictures, music) and things like game files etc on the old HDD and just map the locations (ie tell Steam your game files as on D/Steam/steamapps/common, opposed to C)..
However, there's no getting around having to reinstall some programs.

Feb 14, 2019
Thanks for the reply and info. I only bought it since my old setup was even worse than what I bought. I plan to upgrade substantially to an MSI Z170A motherboard and an Intel i5 8400. I haven't decided on a gpu yet.

As for the SSD, how do I get windows 10 onto it? I don't totally understand how to install it when I can't boot the pc up without an OS on it. Sorry in advance, I'm still a noob when it comes to computers.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
As an FYI, if you look to an 8400, you'll need a 300 series chipset (H310, H370, B360, Z370/Z390). The 100 and 200 series boards supported the 6th and 7th gen chips, not the 8th.

For the "how" side of things, you run the tool linked. Have an empty USB drive on hand/connected. The tool will create the media for you, then you connect to the new system. Boot from the USB, follow the prompts, tell it where to install etc.

This post is a great reference.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html

Feb 14, 2019
Sweet, thank you

I thought I read somewhere that the motherboard of my choice supported the 8th generation Intel's, I read wrong. Thank you for that information. Now if I went ahead and bought the MSI Z170A what cpu would you suggest I use and what gpu?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If it has a BIOS update installed, the best you can do is an i7-7700K.
If not, the best is an i7-6700K.

If you plan on the system lasting a long time, I'd opt for the best CPU you can. i5's are viable too (6400, 6500, 6600K, 7400, 7500, 7600K), but the quad core nature, lacking hyperthreading may struggle in certain titles &/or in newer releases.
The 1050TI is a solid 1080p card, and would be capable enough paired with the newer platform. Something like a 7700K could pair with anything up to and including a GTX1080 without much problem. Realistically, you could pair up to a 2080TI right now with an i7..... just YMMV depending on the title/resolution.

Reactions: Redline09
Solution