[SOLVED] old pc upgrade

Feb 20, 2021
I've just order a new pc and I want to repurpose my old PC for my son. It will just be for Minecraft etc at the moment. My question is, would it be worth upgrading the graphics card to get a bit more performance for him?

The current specs are:
Intel i5 750 @ 2.67
12GB RAM
GTX 1050
Motherboard is ASROCK P55Pro so limited to PCIExpress 2.0

I was thinking of a 1650 or equivalent RX? But wonder whether there will be a noticeable difference due to bottlenecks elsewhere?

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome!

Feb 20, 2021
Interesting, I hadn't thought of overclocking... cheers! Any advice on where to start?

As for Minecraft, vanilla plays fine, but he is kind of intersted in mods and shaders and so on, and some of those seem to slow down quite a bit - obviously we're not going to be doing any raytracing here.
Also what is going on with graphics cards - I thought the shortages were just affecting the latest stuff??? Looks like we won't be upgrading for a while anyway!

I've just order a new pc and I want to repurpose my old PC for my son. It will just be for Minecraft etc at the moment. My question is, would it be worth upgrading the graphics card to get a bit more performance for him?

The current specs are:
Intel i5 750 @ 2.67
12GB RAM
GTX 1050

I was thinking of a 1650 or equivalent RX? But wonder whether there will be a noticeable difference due to bottlenecks elsewhere?

Hello there!
I dont see a ssd there so thats a must have
Get any of the following;
Samsung Evo 860
Crucial MX500
Adata SU800
WD Blue

Interesting, I hadn't thought of overclocking... cheers! Any advice on where to start?

As for Minecraft, vanilla plays fine, but he is kind of intersted in mods and shaders and so on, and some of those seem to slow down quite a bit - obviously we're not going to be doing any raytracing here.
Also what is going on with graphics cards - I thought the shortages were just affecting the latest stuff??? Looks like we won't be upgrading for a while anyway!
Due to the shortages people are buying used parts and thus used product sellers are using this to their advantage and selling the parts over launch price,also for the gpu id have personally bought a 4gb 1050ti but ik you might have your reason for that later you can buy 1060 6gb or 1650 super the vram would help imo and if you can find really good price on i7maybe that first instead of gpu now.

The current specs are:
Intel i5 750 @ 2.67
12GB RAM
GTX 1050

As you have found trying to get a gpu today is tough.

Run this.......... Speccy - Free Download
Now read this and post a link........... Speccy...publish