[SOLVED] Old pc won't detect any ide component !!!

Sk8ter

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Hi !
So a friend of mine brought me his faulty pc an old Pentium 4 , hoping i could restore it , I tried my best with it fixed some issues like the long continuous beep by swapping the ram module , replaced a dead CMOS battery ...but the only thing that drove me crazy was the indetectd ide devices like all of them the HDD and the DVD drive none of them is showing up in the bios 😰 Nada !!! .
BTW the motherboard is a mystery couldn't find any manufacturer's name on it , I had to improvise
Here is what I know for now :
Cpu : pentium 4
Ram : TwinMos 512mb CL2 400mhz
HDD : Hitachi Deskstar model : HDS728080PLAT20 .
PSU : a crappy link world 400watts .
If you press the DVD button the tray would eject automatically, the HDD is hot but I doesn't seem to spin dead quiet !!!
Tried using the two existing ide cables nothing came out .
All I have now on screen is "Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter"
This is what the mobo looks like https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-CgeF3P-Ddrh0lT_I8pWprLb-1U9ulik/view?usp=drivesdk

Solution
Is there a particular reason your friend wants that PC working? The last Pentium 4 was released in 2004. It's ancient. If she/he wants a basic computer for the Internet, Office, etc, you can pick up a second hand machine with a Core 2 Duo for literally $20. They have SATA ports that are compatible with modern drives (no one should be running a 15 year old HDD!) and PCIe slots for modern upgrade options.

I'm all for recycling, but the SATA & PCIe on a Core 2 Duo era machine just makes so much more sense.

Sk8ter

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Seems like the computer have drowned by dust. It may simply have being overheated in the past (P4, haha yes I know it sounds doubious now).

How long since it was in known working order ?
Wanna hear a joke !!!2017 😂 ...all this time it was sitting in a dark room abondoned collecting the dust .😕

Sk8ter

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Was that a dust joke or just a joke (say that fast) ?

Well, no - dust inside cabinet collects when the fans are running - not when it's just stucked away.
The owner is one of these guys who doesn't think pc's need cleaning too 😑 he pushes a button and excpects things to run smoothly like the old days .

Is there a particular reason your friend wants that PC working? The last Pentium 4 was released in 2004. It's ancient. If she/he wants a basic computer for the Internet, Office, etc, you can pick up a second hand machine with a Core 2 Duo for literally $20. They have SATA ports that are compatible with modern drives (no one should be running a 15 year old HDD!) and PCIe slots for modern upgrade options.

I'm all for recycling, but the SATA & PCIe on a Core 2 Duo era machine just makes so much more sense.

Solution

Sk8ter

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014

Yeah you're right , he is just trying to recover some important files BTW i managed to find a way to repair it 😁 i had to disable the fdd on the bios since it was sharing the molex power cable with the hdd , apparently its broken and was causing the boot error ...😕 at least now i can start up windows normally ..the dvd reader wouldn't show up though 😒.