Old Phenom + GTX 1050

venuz21

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
*sorry for my nad english*
I want to buy GTX 1050, I will do this in next 2 months. This CPU is bad, so there will be bottleneck, and I want to overclock this AMD. I will change box cooler to SilentiumPC Spartan 3 Pro (probably you don't know what is SilentiumPC, just google about that :p ). I'm playing only Overwatch and I'm thinking about Forza Horizon 3. Did it will work just fine with GTX 1050 and this Phenom after OC? And is it even possible with my motherboard? I don't want to burn something, btw thermal paste haven't been changed for 6 years, same with cooler and still have max. 50°C in games. Greetings :)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840
GPU: GTX 550Ti
RAM: 2x4GB GoodRam DDR3 1333MHz CL9
PSU: i-box sl-8500BTX (im changing this probably in this week, same with cooler^)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970-DS3

Solution

It would actually be a reasonable fit. I never liked recommending the 1050 because it only comes with 2 GB. Performance will suffer on titles that have a lot of VRAM usage. Having 3 GB is much more acceptable, although still not optimal. I'd rather they had gone with a 4 GB version.

The other thing to consider is that they nerfed the memory speed on the 3 GB version of the 1050. It will probably perform on par with the 2 GB version, so it isn't so much a performance gain but a utility gain... and strangely I'm ok with that. Apparently it was a move to keep miners from snatching them all up, so I'm good with that too.
Your motherboard is an AM3+ motherboard. You could put an FX series chip on it if you wanted too. You can get an FX 6000 or 8000 and not bottleneck the 1050. All you need is a BIOS update and an FX CPU.

You could overclock the Phenom II, but if you could get an FX-8350, you wouldn't need to... unless you wanted to overclock the FX-8350, which would get you even more performance... but get a good cooler for overclocking. FX chips can run hot.

It would actually be a reasonable fit. I never liked recommending the 1050 because it only comes with 2 GB. Performance will suffer on titles that have a lot of VRAM usage. Having 3 GB is much more acceptable, although still not optimal. I'd rather they had gone with a 4 GB version.

The other thing to consider is that they nerfed the memory speed on the 3 GB version of the 1050. It will probably perform on par with the 2 GB version, so it isn't so much a performance gain but a utility gain... and strangely I'm ok with that. Apparently it was a move to keep miners from snatching them all up, so I'm good with that too.

Solution

venuz21

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
Yeah, some prices of nvidia's graphic cards are high. Okay, so I will try to overclock my Phenom and I will buy GTX 1050 3GB, download Forza Horizon 3 Demo and I will test how it will work. But in Demo version there isn't any optimization updates, I want just test that. Is my "strategy" good? :D

sal_rc

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
For Forza horizon 3 I used to get around 30-35 fps on 1080p low settings on my old phenom II x4 955 with 750ti,both overclocked.
So you'd probably get better with 1050

venuz21

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
I think Forza Horizon 3 is mainly sitting on graphic card. Am I right? I'm still curious how this game will work on my PC but with GTX 1050 3GB and overclocked Phenom... Maybe I will download a 20GB demo (in demo there is no any optimization updates)? Does it have any sense? Sal_rc i'm not thinking it will be better on my PC :p

sal_rc

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
Phenom is still a very old CPU,when I uprgraded from phenom to ryzen I still used 750ti for some time and there was a slight 5-7 difference which means that CPU was bottlenecking GPU so don't expect much performance increase when u buy the 1050, unless you upgrade your CPU.
Also can't say about demo version,never tried it,it might be possible that they never updated the demo version

venuz21

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
Btw. Yesterday i realised that Phenom II X4 840 is better than Penom II X4 955. That's what some benchmark showed me, I'm not sure can I believe that.

sal_rc

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
Honestly Forza 3 is very demanding game,I was able to run some others at around 50fps on medium.
And also phenoms are beast,it would play most of the games I throw at it after being such an old cpu

venuz21

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
So Forza Horizon 3 shouldn't be a problem on low settings (maybe some of them on medium) and with locked 30fps on overclocked Phenom and GTX 1050 3GB?

venuz21

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017

I will play only Overwatch and Forza Horizon 3 and some other games but they aren't requiring so much from PC.

venuz21

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017

I said in this thread, I will probably buy SilentiumPC Spartan 3 Pro, good and cheap cooler and then I will overlock this CPU. I hope I will get 3.6GHz with safe temperatures.