Question Old power supply still OK to use?

Ebo352

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I have been storing an old computer at my parents place that I built back in 2009. Unfortunately, some mice decided to make a nice nest in the case and some of the components were damaged. Surprisingly, aside from the power supply, all the damage seems more cosmetic than anything else.
The power supply itself seems fine and the only damage I can find is that one of the SATA power cables had the plastic chewed off and now the bare wires are exposed. These are not modular cables, so I can't just pull them off and replace.

It's a Silver Stone 1000 watt, OP1000-E

I have not tried plugging it in for a test yet because I'm not sure if that's a good idea.
I was wondering if I can just use some electrical tape, or something a bit more heavy duty, to wrap the exposed wires in, not use those hookups and just use some zip ties or something to keep the separated from the rest of my system. There are 2 SATA cables on this power supply, so I can just use the other cable for my needs.

Is this a terrible idea?

If I can bind the cables, what's the safest way to test the power supply?

Aug 1, 2024
I would say it depends on the wiring system. If the power runs though the coords consistently even when not hooked up I would avoid using it. But if it doesn’t seem to be any sort of charge through it I would say it should be ok.

As for testing it I would leave it unplugged from any sort of hardware and lay it down on a surface that won’t let the electricity flow through it or potentially catch on fire and get some sort of charge tester like you would use on a housing outlet to see if it’s live when plugged into a outlet and turned on

Reactions: artk2219