Discussion old printers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2022
As a computer tech how do you explain to a layman that the printer he is so attached to won't work with the windows system he is using if the layman is really stuborn This question at your leasure just for fun:rolleyes: \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\i should have explained I'm looking for humor or fun in your answers

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
As a computer tech how do you explain to a layman that the printer he is so attached to won't work with the windows system he is using if the layman is really stuborn This question at your leasure just for fun:rolleyes:
I would say that what they want to do is not supported, if they desire to work on getting it to work, "knock yourself out", but you won't provide assistance.

As a computer tech how do you explain to a layman that the printer he is so attached to won't work with the windows system he is using if the layman is really stuborn This question at your leasure just for fun:rolleyes:
I understand that you might really like your current printer, but sometimes we have to accept that things don't work the way we want them to. In this case, it might be time to consider getting a new printer that is designed to work with the computer system you're using. This will save you a lot of frustration in the long run, and you'll be able to get your printing done smoothly and efficiently.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Printers that weren't network printers received little to no support where I have worked.

There were exceptions. Badge printers for the security desk. Other various color photo printers. Barcode and receipt printers and the like. The occasional plotter. But common inkjet and other desktop printers, not so much.

If a simple USB to Parallel port adapter wasn't enough and if it didn't work with HP's Universal Printer Driver, we pretty much stopped there.

Apr 14, 2022
Printers that weren't network printers received little to no support where I have worked.

There were exceptions. Badge printers for the security desk. Other various color photo printers. Barcode and receipt printers and the like. The occasional plotter. But common inkjet and other desktop printers, not so much.

If a simple USB to Parallel port adapter wasn't enough and if it didn't work with HP's Universal Printer Driver, we pretty much stopped there.
ok but how do you explain this in a funny or humorus way using a comparision with something and old dyehard might except ?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Replace "printer" with money waster, tree killer, toilet paper decorator, but extremely casually and don't acknowledge it, just keep going. Might work depending on the audience.

"So you called me about the tree killer again?" "The what?" "So what's wrong with the money waster" and so on.

Jokes about about how printer ink is the second most expensive liquid on the planet. When they ask what the first is, tell them they don't want to know. (This varies by what list you look at, a lot of them are medical / natural products that only come in small quantities to start with)

Always the old go to about how computers were meant to replace paper work, not let you create endless amounts of it.

Reactions: Exploding PSU
Apr 14, 2022
Replace "printer" with money waster, tree killer, toilet paper decorator, but extremely casually and don't acknowledge it, just keep going. Might work depending on the audience.

"So you called me about the tree killer again?" "The what?" "So what's wrong with the money waster" and so on.

Jokes about about how printer ink is the second most expensive liquid on the planet. When they ask what the first is, tell them they don't want to know. (This varies by what list you look at, a lot of them are medical / natural products that only come in small quantities to start with)

Always the old go to about how computers were meant to replace paper work, not let you create endless amounts of it.
Thats the spirit

If its an old printer it probably has only 3 coloured inks enclosed in 1 block and a separate black , replacing 6 inks in a new printer will be expensive after the ones that came with printer run out but 6 dont need changing all at the same time so do work out cheaper in the long run. With a new printer i get a pack of 6 the first time i need to order some and then after that i order 1 at a time when needed from somebody who guarantees delivery tommorow

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
As a computer tech how do you explain to a layman that the printer he is so attached to won't work with the windows system he is using if the layman is really stuborn This question at your leasure just for fun:rolleyes: \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\i should have explained I'm looking for humor or fun in your answers

Isn't this one of those times where you need to 'accidentally on purpose' break it with a hammer? 😉

I dunno because I've never been dumb enough to buy a GDI printer so they stay supported, even if their parallel ports aren't any longer (the old unsupported parallel port driver can still be installed but it's just more convenient to just put them on a printserver where Windows cannot even see any parallel port).

For example I just checked and WindowsUpdate for Windows 11 includes a WHQL 64-bit driver dated 2006 for the old DeskJet 500 I bought 33 years ago in 1990, which originally came with drivers on a floppy disk for Windows 3.0. And like my 1990s vintage LaserJets and DesignJets it still works too, like most of their overengineered stuff made while H and P were still alive.

For old stuff where parts like rubber pads are no longer available, I wipe some rubber glue over the old hardened pad which makes it grippy enough to properly feed paper again.

Status
Not open for further replies.