[SOLVED] Old problem , just want to know

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
Hello guys,

I have a long problem from time to time and I will write whole story.

Short: problem is that in certain games my monitor goes black and message is check signal cable, gpu fans slow down and I need to restart.

After few years with different components, OS etc. I think its the drivers, but can be gpu or psu.

Lets start. I had old PC with : Asus p5k se, q 9300, 4gb ddr2 ram, hdd, 550 w PSU rasburo, MSI hd 6850 OC...

I remember that I had kernel power 41 error and when I got BSOD there was atikmdag.sys. I tried many thing with different drivers, OS etc. but no avail.

Problem was in GTA4, in one part of the Witcher 2... But for example I played Witcher 3 with no problems at all. Then I decided to go with GPU benchmarks and in the end with Furmark. Under them, all was stable, no blackscreen, nothing. So I think its not PSU and not GPU probably but drivers with certain games.

Now I updated my PC, I got i7 3770k, gigabyte z77mx d3h, 16gb ddr3 ram, GPU and PSU are the same. I was playing gta 4 before few days and same thing happened twice.
When Im playing Rome 2 Total war and Cities skylines, gpu is at 99% , sometimes my temps reach 80c in skylines when is hot outside but I have no problems at all.

Yesterday I installed Kingdoms come deliverance, and I get same error before I even hit the main menu. How it can be PSU, my GPU is not even under load at all. So I guess I can rule that out. So it happens only with certain games.

GPU is quite old and latest drivers are from 2015. no new ones, so I guess I cant do anything about it.

Do you know anything that I can try? I can't try spare GPU cuz I don't have one, or PSU. Only thing I can do is to try something with OS, drivers and similar thing.

Solution
PSU voltages are within range but 12V is pretty low in that range. Is at 11.52V when lower spec is 11.4. So all in all probably nothing to worry about - my concern would be that most reporting software can be quite inaccurate with voltage readings, they're just good for an indicator, so if the voltage reading is actually higher than actual, it could well be a problem.

3.3V is in range and no 5V is recorded for whatever reason.

However one thing I do notice is the GPU thermal diode shoots up to 510 degrees (which can't be right) as the fan RPM and % usage on it stops registering even though there is memory clock and fan % usage still active - not sure if this is when the crash occurs though and sensors just go a bit haywire...

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
Ok I will guess that you read my entire post.

Why would furmark and Valley GPU test finished with no problem but problem will occur even when gpu is at light load at CERTAIN games and never outside gaming?

PSU is not the best but 550w is enough for this rig. This rig is taking around 400w at load at max. Also PSU has 2 x 12v rails, with 37A on both.

Colif

Win 11 Master
event 41 kernel power is a reaction to the restart, not a cause. Windows runs a report at every startup and if it finds the previous one wasn't normal, it creates event 41. Windows may not know why it restarted.

how big is the memory.dmp file? might get you to create minidumps, main difference is max size is way smaller. The guy I get to convert them has slow internet connection.

I don't know what OS you have but these instructions might work with older ones too - let me know if they don't
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
event 41 kernel power is a reaction to the restart, not a cause. Windows runs a report at every startup and if it finds the previous one wasn't normal, it creates event 41. Windows may not know why it restarted.

how big is the memory.dmp file? might get you to create minidumps, main difference is max size is way smaller. The guy I get to convert them has slow internet connection.

I don't know what OS you have but these instructions might work with older ones too - let me know if they don't
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Done that, installed the game, and after the black screen, there isnt any new dump files in that folder.

So I guess the dump file that is created in my post maybe wasn't made cuz kernel 41 crash. You will see.

Maybe that Kernel crash is cuz I need to manually shut down pc, not cuz my driver or smth fail? Cuz pc is still running when I get that message check signal cable.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Maybe that Kernel crash is cuz I need to manually shut down pc, not cuz my driver or smth fail? Cuz pc is still running when I get that message check signal cable.

that would be it, manual shutdowns will create it.

no signal can mean GPU not getting a refresh rate fast enough to maintain the picture, I get that if I try to run my monitor on HDMI instead of display port (4k wants faster)

Sent dump to a friend, we see what it shows.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/bOru.html

File information:082919-6343-01.dmp (Aug 29 2019 - 09:56:08)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: p95bench.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

Comment: The overclocking driver "IOCBios2.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z77MX-D3H-rev-10
It appears you have the latest BIOS already installed (F17b).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

That is likely caused by a BSOD that happened while running prime/xtu. I would clear all dumps, wait for the next BSOD and then provide the new crash dump so we can see if there is something else going on.

I would remove XTU from the system as well. Did you install XTU or do you have NZXT CAM software installed at all?

Reactions: toniplavna

Colif

Win 11 Master
The problem with the HD 6850 gpu is AMD classifies it as legacy, so it has to use the Legacy drivers that aren't specifically designed for that card, but are general drivers that match a range of cards.

Your AMD Graphic card is not supported by AMD anymore. It is considered LEGACY (old).

AMD Radeon™ Software Support for Legacy Graphics Products
AMD Radeon™ R5 235X, Radeon™ R5 235, Radeon™ R5 230, Radeon™ R5 220, Radeon™ HD 8470, Radeon™ HD 8350, Radeon™ HD 8000 (D/G variants), Radeon™ HD 7000 Series (HD 7600 and below), Radeon™ HD 6000 Series, and Radeon™ HD 5000 Series Graphics products have been moved to a legacy support model and no additional driver releases are planned. This change enables us to dedicate valuable engineering resources to developing new features and enhancements for graphics products based on the GCN Architecture.
https://community.amd.com/thread/219049

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-630

so although your GPU drivers are from 2015, its likely they are newest still. Its AMD subtle hint to buy a new GPU. having said that, on your PC, any new GPU would have to contend with rest of systems age. Not saying to buy a new GPU but it might be one answer to constant ATI errors.

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/bOru.html

File information:082919-6343-01.dmp (Aug 29 2019 - 09:56:08)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: p95bench.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

Comment: The overclocking driver "IOCBios2.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z77MX-D3H-rev-10
It appears you have the latest BIOS already installed (F17b).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Yes BIOS is updated to the latest version. That Intel utility Im using for benchmark and thats all.

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
That is likely caused by a BSOD that happened while running prime/xtu. I would clear all dumps, wait for the next BSOD and then provide the new crash dump so we can see if there is something else going on.

I would remove XTU from the system as well. Did you install XTU or do you have NZXT CAM software installed at all?

Maybe, cuz I was overclocking cpu and was finding the least voltage and benchmarked, and I got BSOD in XTU... That was caused by that. But I was running stable OC for some time and cuz of the bad cooler, I reverted to default again.

Last edited:

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
The problem with the HD 6850 gpu is AMD classifies it as legacy, so it has to use the Legacy drivers that aren't specifically designed for that card, but are general drivers that match a range of cards.

https://community.amd.com/thread/219049

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-630

so although your GPU drivers are from 2015, its likely they are newest still. Its AMD subtle hint to buy a new GPU. having said that, on your PC, any new GPU would have to contend with rest of systems age. Not saying to buy a new GPU but it might be one answer to constant ATI errors.

Thanks.

They are not contstant errors but only in certain games, and its very rare usually no problem in all but as you can see I wanted to play Kingdoms come , and can't even hit the main menu.

GPU is kinda below min specs for that game, can be the problem BUT, I saw on youtube much worse GPUs, with same ammount of VRAM running that same game...

Also, I tried to see config file of the game to check maybe is default resolution higher or something that my monitor cant show, but its not probably.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am not sure if that last WHEA is caused by software, most of the time if its a driver it will say something like

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN 8 DRIVER
but that one says
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: CODE_CORRUPTION

so it might be hardware. The stack doesn't make me think its GPU related as if it was, it would normally blame Directx in there somewhere. All it mentions is

PSHED, HAL & nt, all 3 are windows files that you always see on WHEA errors.
PSHED = Platform Specific Hardware Error Driver
HAL = Hardware Abstraction Layer
NT = ntoskrnl = windows kernel.

Maybe Op might want to run this on CPu - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Reactions: toniplavna

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
Ok , I used memtest before on my older PCs. I doubt that is the problem cuz problem would be visible more often during normal usage. I ll try first faster test with windows memory test.

I think that I ll need to go with newer GPU anyway cuz my oppinion is that this problem is probably due old drivers.