[SOLVED] Old problem - "safely remove hardware" issue never solved ?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
of course the portable drives are only for storage, never used as a system drive or containing another system, there are only files like music, videos, and pictures, no files are assigned to synchronize with other locations or cloud, and I cannot think of any software that is occupying the drive. The longer I leave it connected to the PC, the more likely it is that it "cannot be ejected or safely removed", returning with error notification windows that we all know, and then, the drives will even get started spinning up again. No file is being copied or transferred, executed or uploading to anywhere at the time.

Solution
Home is an edition of the OS, version is located in system's page, right click Start>System, version of OS should be at the bottom of said page that pops up.

(e.g safely ejected)
Yes that happens to me and some of my storage drives, I open up Windows Defender and disable Realtime protection when I know I have a drive that exhibits this issue, since the AV will look through files for malware. If your files are numerous, expect the AV to take time going through said files.

Lutfij

Titan
Mind sharing the make and models of your storage devices that connected and then end up unable to be disconnected? Yu might want to also look into the version for your OS, assuming you're on Widows 10. If not Windows 10, please state the OS you're working with. As for the drives themselves, if you're on Windows 10, have you tried disabling Windows Defender and seeing if the problem persists? If the issue is alleviated, then your antivirus bundled with your OS is performing a scan of the removable device to rule out a stowaway.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Mind sharing the make and models of your storage devices that connected and then end up unable to be disconnected? Yu might want to also look into the version for your OS, assuming you're on Widows 10. If not Windows 10, please state the OS you're working with. As for the drives themselves, if you're on Windows 10, have you tried disabling Windows Defender and seeing if the problem persists? If the issue is alleviated, then your antivirus bundled with your OS is performing a scan of the removable device to rule out a stowaway.

Hi, OK, Windows 10, Should be Home version, I've got a number of portable drives, both Seagate and WD, passport, slim, etc, they are all 2.5" small drive, connected with USB 2.0 mostly, all bought on Amazon in recent years shipped and sold by Amazon.com so source has no doubt. OK, you can imagine the problem I often encounter is - When I connect the drive, then it powers and starts up by itself, then sometimes (not always) it will then keep spinning (felt by hand), couldn't be stopped (e.g safely ejected) and never stops. I don't turn off my PC normally, after a few days, it is still spinning and doesn't stop. I am using default Windows AV I don't see it running in the background

Lutfij

Titan
Home is an edition of the OS, version is located in system's page, right click Start>System, version of OS should be at the bottom of said page that pops up.

(e.g safely ejected)
Yes that happens to me and some of my storage drives, I open up Windows Defender and disable Realtime protection when I know I have a drive that exhibits this issue, since the AV will look through files for malware. If your files are numerous, expect the AV to take time going through said files.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution