Question Old psu for new pc

Oct 22, 2019
So I am new to PC building and am currently getting my parts, I stumbled across a Craigslist listing for a Corsair hx 1000w brand new, for 75.00. So I bought it thinking I did good. Until I found out it was from 2008. So my question is will this present any issues when using this to build my new pc. Hopefully not because I think I'm stuck with it.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It was a quality PSU and, if truly "new" (was it still sealed in packaging?), then it should be more than sufficient for any consumer level system you could put together today.

If it was cleaned up and sold "like new" and has been used solid for quite a few years, it may not have a lot of life left in it. However, it was a quality unit with good protections, so it's certainly not going to be a fire hazard or risk your components.

Reactions: Defloors

miknepa

Reputable
May 20, 2019
You are not really "stuck with it, if you sell it/ get a new one it's problem solved" but all that aside, it's a corsair 1000w psu, so it's of quality. If it wasn't used for a long time and no weird stuff done to it you should be a-ok. Oh and 75 for a working actual good 1000w psu is a steal. so i wouldn't trust it and by the way, for your future pc building: NEVER CHEAP OUT ON PSUS PLEASE.

Oct 22, 2019
It was a quality PSU and, if truly "new" (was it still sealed in packaging?), then it should be more than sufficient for any consumer level system you could put together today.
Yes it is still sealed in the factory wrap. Also I heard somewhere that it could have some kind of issue with the newer hardware, but I'm new to this and can't remember the word that was used when it was explained

miknepa

Reputable
May 20, 2019
If it's sealed you are good. everything Barty said above was basically exactly what you need to know. Old PSUs messing with newer hardware is something i have never heard about but might be as i've only been in the Hardware game for like 1.5 years

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The only "problem" it might have would be sleep states - which really only affects what happens when your system is put to 'sleep'. Honestly, not a huge issue for many people.

That was a thing ~2013 and the Haswell era from Intel (most newer units at the time were marketed as "Haswell ready"). Nothing I'd be too worried about though. If your system doesn't wake from sleep, you can disable those sleep states.