[SOLVED] Old PSU, new GPU.

M4lchi

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
OK so i got an opportunity to buy a new GPU (GTX 1060 ti) with 8pin pci-e connector on it. The thing is i got an old 400W PSU from a friend (dont know what brand it is) and it doesnt have an 8 pin connector on it. So i found a cable on internet that can use 2 molex cables into one 8 pin pci-e connector. Great now i dont need to buy a new PSU but then there comes a next problem. I got 2 unused cables coming from my PSU and they go like this:
1st cable = Molex to Molex to idk what that connector is.
2nd cable = Molex to SSD power cable (IMPORTANT! im currently using for my SSD).
Photos:
View: https://imgur.com/a/QxoaX0B

View: https://imgur.com/a/YuPQwYg

Now im asking if i can use 2 of those 3 molex connectors to the 8 pin PCI-E connector. Im asking this because my brother got the same problem where his molex connector didnt work when he was using the seccond connector on the cable to power his SSD.

Last edited:
Solution
Those molex to pci-e adapters are a bad idea and a good way to start a fire/destroy components. So you still need a new PSU with the proper connections or you will be risking destroying your new GPU and possibly more.

M4lchi

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
Those molex to pci-e adapters are a bad idea and a good way to start a fire/destroy components. So you still need a new PSU with the proper connections or you will be risking destroying your new GPU and possibly more.
Ok, i guess the cheap way out of this is not possible, I mean my brother got the molex adapter in his pc to his GTX 1060 ti for almost a year and he got no problems. It is true that I tried setting core voltage to max in MSI afterburner on my current GTX 1050 and after some time my PSU wouldnt catch up and would turn my pc off. Thank you.

bignastyid

Titan
Ok, i guess the cheap way out of this is not possible, I mean my brother got the molex adapter in his pc to his GTX 1060 ti for almost a year and he got no problems. It is true that I tried setting core voltage to max in MSI afterburner on my current GTX 1050 and after some time my PSU wouldnt catch up and would turn my pc off. Thank you.
Luck, your brother has a time bomb that could blow at anytime. Also the 1060 ti doesn't exist. Nvidia never made a ti version of the 1060.

M4lchi

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
Luck, your brother has a time bomb that could blow at anytime. Also the 1060 ti doesn't exist. Nvidia never made a ti version of the 1060.
Oh and also, i gave you wrong info. I texted my brother and i found out he uses 1 six pin from his psu + 2 molex into 1 six pin. Then he got those 2 six pins to 8 pin that goes to his gtx 1060. Sound complicated but that's how it is.