Question Old PSU went pop, new PSU powers on for split second

Mar 14, 2019
Hey guys, so I have a mining rig running 4x MSI R9 380's through a Asus M4A79XTD Evo motherboard and an old 900w power supply which this last weekend went pop (literally) which is something I've never personally seen myself but moving on.

I just bought myself a new Corsair 1000w HX1000i and upon reconnecting everything and trying to power on the rig all of the lights come on across the top of the GFX cards, fans spin both on the CPU and on the PSU however this only happens for a brief moment, maybe half a second or so and then everything shuts off, to replicate this I need to unplug or switch off the PSU manually and wait for the motherboard power light to go out before it will show this brief second of life.

It isn't the PSU of that I'm almost certain as I have run a paperclip test and checked the 24 pin atx plug with a multimeter and everything seems fine. Ive tried disconnecting everything but the 24 pin ATX and 4 pin CPU power and still get the same result, Ive even gone as far as removing/re-seating the CPU & RAM and replacing the CMOS battery.

Which would make me think that through the old PSU blowing up I may have fried the mobo however its strange that the motherboard power light comes on when connected to power and the whole system attempts to boot momentarily if I power cycle the PSU.

So I guess my real question is, have I missed something terribly simple or has anyone ever experienced something like this before? (Ive been building PC's and fixing laptops etc. in my spare time for around 6-8 years and have never seen something like this). Or whats the possibility of the mobo being fried despite showing signs of life?

TIA everyone, any help or advice would be appreciated as I've being playing with this for about 3 hours now and I'm really running out of ideas here.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If your old PSU literrally went 'pop' then there's a very real risk it damaged other components on its way out. Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to replace components.

As a side note, the paperclip test only confirms a PSU will power on, not that it can adequately power your setup. Shouldn't be relevant in this case , as the HX lineup is good quality

Mar 14, 2019
Thanks for the reply Barty yeah it was quite spectacular a large blue/white flash, smoke, sizzling, never seen anything like it with my own eyes but there's a first for everything, and this is what I had feared :( I assumed it would have burned something out but the fact it trys to boot and then cuts out made me think there may still be life left in it.

What are the chances it just burned out the motherboard? Or do you think it may have damaged the Cpu, RAM or even the GFX cards?

D

Deleted member 14196

Chances are good that it did damage the motherboard and other components as well maybe even the graphics

Mar 12, 2019
Ah Bro, that's not good,

if you can get hold of another PC, maybe test each part one by one, if you're lucky the damage didn't extend further than the Mobo.

Definitely sounds like your Motherboard is toast at the very least though.

Mar 14, 2019
Ahh okay, thanks so much for your help guys, I'm gonna selectively try some of the components in my housemates PC and see if I can narrow it down any, weirdly enough though I was speaking to someone at work today who also is a heavy gamer/amateur miner and he had a similar problem with a corsair PSU which would power on for seconds and then shut off, he RMA'd it and it fixed the problem, however as this PSU is pretty much brand new and my old power supply exited life in spectacular fashion I'm still going to assume its fried something other than the PSU but I'm gonna keep trying different things until I can source another suitable mobo to try. Thanks again guys and if anyone else has any ideas on something to try Im all ears :D