Question Old RAM just stopped working after installing new ones

Nov 7, 2019
Hey everyone,
So I had an 8GB of ram for a while and I decided to add 8 more. I bought the exact model today and I installed both sticks. When I tried to turn my PC on it simply didn't boot to bios, but I discovered that removing the old ram enabled the pc to boot normally with the new ram sticks, and whenever I try to add my old ones I don't get POST. It's really weird since the old sticks were just running fine without any problems.

I tried to CMOS, remove the battery, JBAT ...etc nothing seems to work! Any ideas?

These are the ram sticks https://www.amazon.com/TEAMGROUP-16...ROUP+Elite+DDR3+1600MHz&qid=1572128015&sr=8-3

Update: Alright I tried to install the sticks one by one. Started with the first old stick and it booted, then the second until the fourth. All seems good now. I really don't what happened and I have no idea how this was a 'fix'. Thanks all.

Last edited:
thats odd and the old ones have stopped working

test each stick in one slot and see if they all post it could be that there is a bad one in the bunch ( this is why i avoid ram with no heat spreaders also if you have a can of compressed air blow out the ram slots

It is not unusual to have a second stick not work with the old.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.

I would use the one stick that works to get into the bios.
Your motherboard manual will tell you where to install it if you only use one stick.
Then, when in the bios, increase the ram voltage from the default of 1.2v to a higher number.
You could go perhaps as high as 1.35v.

As to why reinserting the original stick not working, I do not know.
Perhaps it was not inserted cleanly or some pin got damaged.