[SOLVED] Old Rig Upgrade

Mar 2, 2020
I want a CPU alternative for QX9650.
I haven't bought the CPU yet so I am looking for an alternative...

THE REQ:
The CPU must have stock clock at around 3ghz or more.
It should be of LGA 775 socket.
Suitable for Running Simulation Games
It should be a quad-core CPU

Current Spec is=>
500W
E7500 Core 2 duo
GT1030 2GB DDR5
8GB DDR3 RAM

Last edited:
Solution
Whether or not they have stock coolers. Will depend on the seller. Since they're going to be used. Any Core 2 Quad Extreme should have an unlocked multiplier. Although I'm not certain if Intel omitted a stock cooler with unlocked models as they do now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors#Core_2_Quad

The only non-OC model to hit 3Ghz I can find is the regular Q9650. Unless you can find the almost mythical Q9700 or Q9705.
  • Other +3Ghz models are the QX6850, QX9750, QX9770 and QX9775.
  • These may or may not be compatible
  • These are hard to find now, thus expensive.

Basically, unless you are extraordinarily attached to your Core 2 Duo system. It would be best to replace it with some used...
What is the MB?

because there are lots of compatibility issues with this socket.

Compatibility is quite variable, as earlier chipsets (Intel 915 and below) tend to support only single core Netburst Pentium 4 and Celeron CPUs at an FSB of 533/800 MT/s. Intermediate chipsets (e.g. Intel 945) commonly support both single core Pentium 4-based CPUs as well as dual core Pentium D processors. Some 945 chipset-based motherboards could be given a BIOS upgrade to support 65nm Core-based CPUs. For other chipsets, it also varies, as LGA 775 CPU support is a complicated mixture of chipset capability, voltage regulator limitations and BIOS support. For example G41 chipset doesn't support NetBurst CPUs such as Pentium D, Pentium Extreme Edition, Pentium 4 and Celeron D.

Mar 2, 2020
What is the MB?

because there are lots of compatibility issues with this socket.

Compatibility is quite variable, as earlier chipsets (Intel 915 and below) tend to support only single core Netburst Pentium 4 and Celeron CPUs at an FSB of 533/800 MT/s. Intermediate chipsets (e.g. Intel 945) commonly support both single core Pentium 4-based CPUs as well as dual core Pentium D processors. Some 945 chipset-based motherboards could be given a BIOS upgrade to support 65nm Core-based CPUs. For other chipsets, it also varies, as LGA 775 CPU support is a complicated mixture of chipset capability, voltage regulator limitations and BIOS support. For example G41 chipset doesn't support NetBurst CPUs such as Pentium D, Pentium Extreme Edition, Pentium 4 and Celeron D.
MOBO=> IPEIL LA3 rev. 1.02
So Is QX9650 The Best Option To Go For?

Whether or not they have stock coolers. Will depend on the seller. Since they're going to be used. Any Core 2 Quad Extreme should have an unlocked multiplier. Although I'm not certain if Intel omitted a stock cooler with unlocked models as they do now.

The only non-OC model to hit 3Ghz I can find is the regular Q9650. Unless you can find the almost mythical Q9700 or Q9705.

Basically, unless you are extraordinarily attached to your Core 2 Duo system. It would be best to replace it with some used Dell i5. Which even a slow i5 will soundly trounce the hottest Core 2 Quad.

Heck just look for a used 2nd gen Core i5 + Motherboard combo. Used on eBay. They'll run less than one of those CPU. Just make sure it is mATX or ATX with a 24-pin power connector. Some will be odd OEM form factors and connectors. As it still uses DDR3. Most of your other parts will transfer right over.

Reactions: SamirD and ChumP
Solution
The best CPU you can upgrade to on that board is a 95W yorkfield core 2 quad(from HP's support page)... a coomon one to come by that meets your requirements is the Q9650,which is clocked at 3 GHz.

You won't be able to upgrade to a QX model because of the higher TDP of those models... probably the BIOS won't allow a higher TDP(130W+) CPU due to your motherboard's power limitations and weak VRM configuration.

As @velocityg4 said above, the core 2 quad platform is obsolete and a sandy or ivy bridge(2nd and 3rd gen) I5/I7 platform will be hugely superior in every possible way.

Mar 2, 2020

Basically, unless you are extraordinarily attached to your Core 2 Duo system. It would be best to replace it with some used Dell i5. Which even a slow i5 will soundly trounce the hottest Core 2 Quad.

Heck just look for a used 2nd gen Core i5 + Motherboard combo. Used on eBay. They'll run less than one of those CPU. Just make sure it is mATX or ATX with a 24-pin power connector. Some will be odd OEM form factors and connectors. As it still uses DDR3. Most of your other parts will transfer right over.
As you've suggested I found this on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Q87M-...sV2&brand=ASUS&_trksid=p2047675.c100047.m2108

I think its a good combo

An i5 would be better than an i3 and is doable with your budget. At least 2nd generation i5 that is (2000 series or higher). That i3 is still an improvement over a Core 2 Quad though. So, if that is the best you can get. Then get that.

As you are willing to look at used parts. Take a look at the GPU hierarchy for the best deal in your country. I can't say what will be the best for you. Due to shipping issues to India. Be wary of any used AMD Radeon. As many models were popular for cryptomining. Same goes with GeForce GTX 10XX series. I'd probably limit myself to the GTX 660/670/680/760/770/780/960/970. As far as looking for good used deals that will handily beat the performance of the GT 1030 at a possibly cheaper price. Refer to the GPU hierarchy for which is faster. Those GeForce GTX models I listed weren't very popular for mining.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

With eBay. As I recall you were using Amazon India. Unless the seller ships to India. Be aware that using a package forwarding service negates most eBay buyer protections.

Mar 2, 2020
An i5 would be better than an i3 and is doable with your budget. At least 2nd generation i5 that is (2000 series or higher). That i3 is still an improvement over a Core 2 Quad though. So, if that is the best you can get. Then get that.

As you are willing to look at used parts. Take a look at the GPU hierarchy for the best deal in your country. I can't say what will be the best for you. Due to shipping issues to India. Be wary of any used AMD Radeon. As many models were popular for cryptomining. Same goes with GeForce GTX 10XX series. I'd probably limit myself to the GTX 660/670/680/760/770/780/960/970. As far as looking for good used deals that will handily beat the performance of the GT 1030 at a possibly cheaper price. Refer to the GPU hierarchy for which is faster. Those GeForce GTX models I listed weren't very popular for mining.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

With eBay. As I recall you were using Amazon India. Unless the seller ships to India. Be aware that using a package forwarding service negates most eBay buyer protections.
I found a R9 360 for 100$ will it do some good??

Mar 2, 2020
That's a horrible price for a used R9 360. They aren't much better than a GT 1030.

If you are looking to spend $100 on a used GPU. Focus your search on a GTX 950, GTX 960, GTX 970, GTX 1050, GTX 1050 Ti or GTX 1060. I'm making the list this big just because of different prices in different countries.
I couldn't find any of these on ebay for a good price...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264652863140
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333396320741

These are the things I'm planning to go for
Any better suggestions??

Those look pretty good. Unfortunately I can't see what other options are available in your country. Even when I try using the eBay for India it redirects me to the US version once I search.

I couldn't find any of these on ebay for a good price...

That's too bad. All I can suggest is going through the GPU hierarchy I linked to earlier. See what options you can find which are better than the GT 1030 for under $100.

Anything older than an nVidia GTX 700 series or AMD R9 200 series is too old to consider.