Old Router Damages New Router????

Beeg Boy

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Hello Community,

I have what could be considered a silly question.
I recently purchased a new router, a linksys EA4500 and have set it up.
I was reading online how to turn my old linksys router, WRT54G, into an access point by plugging it into the new router.
I followed these instructions:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6848173_set-linksys-router-wireless-repeater.html

The problem is that the old router has a tendency to need to be reset once or twice a week.
So, I decided not to use it after all.

I am not sure what is causing the old router to not function 100% but now I am worried that the issue with the old router could have damaged the new router.

Like could the new router have been "corrupted" by the old router since they were connected for a short period of time?
If the old router has a short in it somewhere, could that have "damaged" the internals of the new router?

Could the old router's firmware somehow have caused problems with the new router's firmware?

I have not noticed any issues, but I have a tendency to be a little paranoid.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you,

Solution
Before you dispose of the old router. Do a factory rest and update the firmware to see if it solves the resetting problem so it can be put back into use as an access point. As stated above, one router's internal troubles will not spread to another.

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Before you dispose of the old router. Do a factory rest and update the firmware to see if it solves the resetting problem so it can be put back into use as an access point. As stated above, one router's internal troubles will not spread to another.

Solution

Beeg Boy

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013

That is a good idea.
I might look into that.
The router is roughly 6 years old, so it might just be passed its prime.
Thank you for responding.

Latest posts