Old Router Holding back Speed?

MonicaMBlock

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
I have an old router (5 years) and have been having lots of trouble with our speed of internet. Would this router be part of the problem? The speed we pay for is 105 MBps, I've been getting less than 2mbps this morning and up to 22mbps since January when I started paying attention. Comcast has been out 3 times. Nothing has changed expect lower speed. And they got my phone working after it'd been out for several months. Thoughts?

Solution
If you are paying for 105Mbit then you have to have a router that has gigabit ports for LAN and WAN. You didn't specify which 5 year old router you had. But it probably doesn't have gigabit LAN and WAN ports.

ravensj15

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
it could be 2 things, one being your router is at the end of its life. Or you have too many splitters on your cable line going to your router. once that happened to us and a Comcast guy came out and removed 2 unnecessary splitters and our internet worked again! after that we had the 2.4 GHz Comcast router with 105 Mbps and when they upgraded us to 150 Mbps for free the old 2.4 router wouldn't even get to that speed. so i called Comcast and told them i wanted the new gateway 3 router (dual band router) and they said ok and set out a tech to install the new router. there is not a tech fee because it is a service call. if Comcast tells you there is a fee with the new router, hang up and call again to get a different person. there is no fee for upgrading a router because its trading old equipment in for new equipment. SOLUTION: call Comcast and tell them you want the new gateway 3 router