Question Old School Dot Matrix Printer Ink Solution!?

SeamuSct

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
Hi. I picked up a dot matrix printer off the scrap heap and git it running. I got some paper off a friend and it seemed to print but very vaguely... I am not willing to spend a lot of money on ink unless I know it works 100%. Would be awesome for my office and would cut down on running costs.
I opened the cartridge and found a wheel that seems to guide the tape. Wondering whether this is where I must place the ink?
Here is a video in further detail:
View: https://youtu.be/0RpsLlVXG2I

Hi. I picked up a dot matrix printer off the scrap heap and git it running. I got some paper off a friend and it seemed to print but very vaguely... I am not willing to spend a lot of money on ink unless I know it works 100%. Would be awesome for my office and would cut down on running costs.
I opened the cartridge and found a wheel that seems to guide the tape. Wondering whether this is where I must place the ink?
Here is a video in further detail:
View: https://youtu.be/0RpsLlVXG2I
In ye olden dayes we used to squirt WD40 on those ribbons to extend their life. But after this many decades it would probably be best to saturate both the wheel and the entire ribbon with ink to revive it and get maximum life.

SeamuSct

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
In ye olden dayes we used to squirt WD40 on those ribbons to extend their life. But after this many decades it would probably be best to saturate both the wheel and the entire ribbon with ink to revive it and get maximum life.
Thanks very much!
To the rest of you, yes it does cut down running costs for a simple reason. Me and my friends work from my house in our massive outside shed that has been converted to an office. Due to constant break ins in our area (we have already experienced 3 in last month) we have to take our workstations home or in my case make sure the computer and peripherals look old and obsolete as hell. I transferred all my workstation components into an old <Mod Edit> computer case that used to be white, I found me an old inkjet a3 printer and now a dot matrix for large text documents.

Less stolen = Less expenses = Less running costs 💩

Reactions: dwd999