Old seagate barracudas making siren like noises

compote

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I've put together the new system recently and salvaged my 2 old drives. St3320620AS Barracuda 7200.10 I remember correctly. Maybe they made such noises before but I couldn't hear it in the chassis. They make a siren like squeaks (not like those loud siren ones you can usually read about). I can barely hear them in silence. It's hhh h hhh h hhh h. They bother me a lot.

Should I be concerned about the drives? They're 11 years old by now

Crystal Disk says they're good

Solution
Greetings!

To be honest, I would be concerned about any platter drive that is 11 years old, and the noise you are describing sounds very much to me like the sounds of a drive that is nearing end if life. In my personal experience, the times that I have had platter drives fail, they started making a similar sound for a few weeks before going kaput. Crystal disk is a great program, but it may not be definitive for diagnoses. If it was my system, I would replace the drives just to be on the safe side...I couldn't imagine losing 11 years worth of data...

Hope this helps!

Albionm00n

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
Greetings!

To be honest, I would be concerned about any platter drive that is 11 years old, and the noise you are describing sounds very much to me like the sounds of a drive that is nearing end if life. In my personal experience, the times that I have had platter drives fail, they started making a similar sound for a few weeks before going kaput. Crystal disk is a great program, but it may not be definitive for diagnoses. If it was my system, I would replace the drives just to be on the safe side...I couldn't imagine losing 11 years worth of data...

Hope this helps!

Solution