[SOLVED] Old Skylake Build - Asking for advise

Aug 4, 2021
Hi All -

I have an older system that is due for refresh. I'd like to re use as many parts as I can. My budget is flexible but I am not a huge gamer anymore.

I need to replace an i5-6600k and an ASUS Z170-AR.

Just looking for the following:

• What I know I need: New CPU and motherboard. Usually, go Intel but it looks like AMD Ryzen is the way to go these days.
  • What I think I can reuse: I have 32 GB of DDR4 2400 DIMM, and Corsair 500W power supply, a Centurion case, and AMD Radeon 480, Samsung M.2 drive. I know the DIMM's are not the fastest but it looks like they'll work.
I like to keep my system for as long as possible. So, keeping in mind that I am not a gamer, any suggestions on MB and proc or other components? The goal here is not to over buy....one more thing,,,,Thanks in advance!!

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair is the brand of the unit while 500W is the wattage. You will need to include the model of the unit and the PSU's age. The storage can be recycled though you will need to reinstall the OS since you're migrating platforms. You should reconsider the rams since you're going to loose out on performance with the DDR4-2400MHz kit. Since you're not a gamer, you could just part ways with the discrete GPU and move to an APU build work off the integrated GPU on the APU.

Got a link to the Centurion case? You should also include your location, your budget and your preferred site for purchase, so we can move forward with suggestions. A list of tasks you intend to tax the system with also helps us gauge what...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair is the brand of the unit while 500W is the wattage. You will need to include the model of the unit and the PSU's age. The storage can be recycled though you will need to reinstall the OS since you're migrating platforms. You should reconsider the rams since you're going to loose out on performance with the DDR4-2400MHz kit. Since you're not a gamer, you could just part ways with the discrete GPU and move to an APU build work off the integrated GPU on the APU.

Got a link to the Centurion case? You should also include your location, your budget and your preferred site for purchase, so we can move forward with suggestions. A list of tasks you intend to tax the system with also helps us gauge what you need. Essentially what was asked in this thread.

If I may add, if the build you already have works, why replace it? Perhaps an intermittent problem?

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Seconded, I can't see this system as needing much of an upgrade for non-gaming. Is there anything specific the system can't do that you want it to be able to?

If you do want to re-use that memory, than sticking with Intel will have less of an impact than switching to Ryzen.

Late model i3 processors are the rough equivalent to Skylake i7s. So you would gain hyperthreading, upgraded onboard graphics, and maybe more up to date I/O depending on the motherboard.

We dont really know your needs, but if you are using some software that uses cores, this could be a good option.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700F 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($259.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B560 Steel Legend ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $404.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-04 11:32 EDT-0400

if not, just get a 10400F.
You also might want to ugrade to a faster SSD and or also add HDD.

Aug 4, 2021
Thanks all. The Asus MB died so instead of getting an old MB for this chipset, I figured I'd just get something more modern. Also, this proc will not be supported for W11 so there's that as well.

Aug 3, 2021
We dont really know your needs, but if you are using some software that uses cores, this could be a good option.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700F 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($259.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B560 Steel Legend ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $404.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-04 11:32 EDT-0400

if not, just get a 10400F.
You also might want to ugrade to a faster SSD and or also add HDD.
that’s a good idea

Hi All -

I have an older system that is due for refresh. I'd like to re use as many parts as I can. My budget is flexible but I am not a huge gamer anymore.

I need to replace an i5-6600k and an ASUS Z170-AR.

Just looking for the following:

• What I know I need: New CPU and motherboard. Usually, go Intel but it looks like AMD Ryzen is the way to go these days.
  • What I think I can reuse: I have 32 GB of DDR4 2400 DIMM, and Corsair 500W power supply, a Centurion case, and AMD Radeon 480, Samsung M.2 drive. I know the DIMM's are not the fastest but it looks like they'll work.
I like to keep my system for as long as possible. So, keeping in mind that I am not a gamer, any suggestions on MB and proc or other components? The goal here is not to over buy....one more thing,,,,Thanks in advance!!
Here is my suggestion:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($184.01 @ Adorama)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B560M-PLUS WIFI Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($171.13 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($68.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $423.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-04 12:46 EDT-0400

Aug 4, 2021
In response to my needs, Generally used for standard web, a few VM's (hence the large amount of RAM), light gaming (a bit of Witcher 3 and Warhammer). I love quiet builds. I'll just keep that 480 in there as for what I do, it works. Maybe a bit of future proofing in case GPU's ever come back in stock but its not that paramount.

This 6600K has served me very well but the mobo took a dive.

So,

• Responsive
  • Quiet
  • A bit of future-proofing - The non supported proc and TPM req on my current setup make going to W11 a non starter.
My days of hardcore gaming are past. :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
VMs and RAM. Well that makes the 8-core 10700F more interesting, also the 10900/10900F for 10 cores to consider, depending on what you want to spend (What I went with just for gaming) Though I don't think you would be disappointed getting an 11600 as well coming from a quad core.