Question old sql server losing connection

adidatabase

Honorable
Nov 9, 2017
i have a server 2008 r2 working at a counting office hosting data base for some custom software that doesn't have support anymore and the clients always losing connection in there software sometimes every few minutes and some time every few hours

i restarted the server and when the server got back the network didn't work and after disable\enable to the network card it started to work again (it has a static ip) i also tested it with pingforlife and noticed it losing ping every time the clients crash..

i didn't have the time to try and replace the network card but it only using 1 LAN connection when the motherboard have 4 and the windows server is only showing 1 in device manager for some reason

*i also replaced all of the switch's in the office with new managed ones and all other servers and pcs are working fine so i dont think its a network infections but a problem with the server card\os

any idea?

Last edited:
Did you narrow down the issue to the physical network connection? Can you not ping the server at all when it goes down? If you suspect the card then replace it, try a new cable, move the server to another patch panel / port plenty of things to trouble-shoot aside from what you listed.