• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

[SOLVED] Old SSD has the OS and i want to replace it

Jun 17, 2020
So my laptop only has one ssd slot. I need to remove the old ssd and install the new one but, as i said, the old ssd has the OS and i don't know what to do. I seems it is not possible to just remove windows 10 completely. So i wonder if i just remove the ssd like it is and replace it with the new will cause any problems?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
So my laptop only has one ssd slot. I need to remove the old ssd and install the new one but, as i said, the old ssd has the OS and i don't know what to do. I seems it is not possible to just remove windows 10 completely. So i wonder if i just remove the ssd like it is and replace it with the new will cause any problems?
Replace it with a new drive, and install a new OS on the new drive.

What specific drives are we working with here?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013

Jun 17, 2020

I have a
Samsung SSD PM871b 128GB, M.2 (MZNLN128HAHQ-00000) curently installed and i want to replace it with a V-NAND SSD 970 EVO PLUS NVMe M.2

Jun 17, 2020
So i will just remove the old ssd with the os on it, then put the new one in, then boot from a flash usb to install windows? is that all?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS