[SOLVED] Old SSD in newish PC

Kr1

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
Hi folks,

I recently got myself an MSI x570-a pro motherboard, and am currently trying to get it to boot from my Patriot Pyro 120gb SSD, where i have OS (win10) on my old PC.

Though the MB does recognise the SSD in BIOS, it also says, when doing the NVMe SSD self-test, that it is not supported.

Is there any hope to get this to work again, or is the SD too old?

Many thanks and best,
Chris

Other installed hardware:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU: SAPPHIRE RX 6600 XT PULSE
SSD: Corsair Force MP600
HDD: CRUCIAL P1 1TB
RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, DDR4

Solution
...I recently got myself an MSI x570-a pro motherboard...
The spec sheet for that motherboard has no notes about shedding SATA ports even when installing an NVME in the secondary M.2. You should have no problem getting that SSD to work on that motherboard in one of the SATA ports and install an OS. But do fresh install Windows to make sure it works well.

However, although it will fit on the SSD, 120GB is a bit small for modern Windows and also use it for data and apps, especially games. Hopefully you have a larger drive, even if HDD, to use for an applications, games and data drive. FWIW...I use a 256GB drive for my system and all apps and games go on a couple of 1TB drives but the system drive is still pushing over 100GB...
I recently got myself an MSI x570-a pro motherboard, and am currently trying to get it to boot from my Patriot Pyro 120gb SSD, where i have OS (win10) on my old PC.
Though the MB does recognise the SSD in BIOS, it also says, when doing the NVMe SSD self-test, that it is not supported.
Patriot Pyro 120gb SSD - is SATA SSD.
It is not compatible with NVME SSD self test.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
...I recently got myself an MSI x570-a pro motherboard...
The spec sheet for that motherboard has no notes about shedding SATA ports even when installing an NVME in the secondary M.2. You should have no problem getting that SSD to work on that motherboard in one of the SATA ports and install an OS. But do fresh install Windows to make sure it works well.

However, although it will fit on the SSD, 120GB is a bit small for modern Windows and also use it for data and apps, especially games. Hopefully you have a larger drive, even if HDD, to use for an applications, games and data drive. FWIW...I use a 256GB drive for my system and all apps and games go on a couple of 1TB drives but the system drive is still pushing over 100GB useage. I've still got over 110GB left so that's OK for me, but a 120GB drive would be different.

It's important to remember Windows still needs space on the system drive for a large/flexible swap file even with 16GB of memory in system. And if it runs out of space it still crashes, it's just the way it works. It also needs space to do updates, sometimes 40GB or more.

Last edited:
Solution

Kr1

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
Thank you everyone for your swift response!!

So, if i understood correctly,
  1. My idea to not install a new OS, as my old one is on the old SSD (SATA, Patriot), and boot from there, does not work
  2. The MB will recognise the old SSD once i install a new OS (i.e. on the new SSD)
Is that accurate?

Would it work to 'clone' the old SSD to the new one (Corsair) and boot from there?

Thanks again and best
Chris

USAFRet

Titan
  1. A Windows install is not modular...in that, you can't just move it between systems and expect it to work. A clone is no different.
  2. Correct. It will be just another drive letter. And needs to be wiped clean. Again, given that the particular SATA port is not disabled by use of the M.2 drive. Your user manual should outline the various configurations.

The new system needs a fresh OS install.

When trying to move a drive+OS (or a clone of it) to a new system, 3 basic possibilities:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

#1 is the least likely to occur.

Kr1

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
I got it to work - thanks a lot you guys! Now the ethernet port is uncooperative, but ill deal with that tomorrow...

Have a great Sunday evening all.

Cheers,
Chris